I N T E R L U D E

9 years ago.

Eighteen-year-old Jeon Jungkook thought keeping away from the most popular guy in school to join a debate club might allow him some momentary peace of mind, but Kim Taehyung would follow him even to the nerdiest club in school if it meant he could escape his fans. And wherever Kim Taehyung went, his fangirls closely followed behind. 

Being the best friend of the popular kid was not always as glorious as the TV shows made it seem.

"Tae, one class time of silence. That's all I asked."

"It's not my fault they keep following me."

"For god's sake, just date one of them. They're so annoying."

"Hell no!"

The debate club was unusually packed to the brim. The club's unpopularity was the reason it couldn't even get a classroom approved for its meetings and had to make do with the indoor gym. Five minutes into the start of the club meeting, Taehyung was already getting bored, shaking his legs as he waited for the President of the club to finish his rather boring speech. But it wasn't the poor guy's fault that he kept getting interrupted every five seconds by peals of giggles from the female population who kept eyeing Taehyung every now and then. As expected, the school's official Queen Bee Dayong was at the very front rows, watching Taehyung as if he was her next best meal. Jungkook felt sorry for him. At least he understood why Taehyung was so against dating Dayong.

The President sent them all a filthy glare as he resumed his speech. The door to the gym room flew open with a screech interrupting President Hajoon once again, and he looked up from the piece of paper with his speech with murder in his eyes before he paused and stuttered out a name in surprise. "A-ahn Heiran?"

A sea of male heads turned towards the door. Jungkook too turned to look, craning his neck to get a better view of the person.

"Why's Ahn Heiran here?" Taehyung asked, annoyed. The name vaguely rang a bell in the back of Jungkook's mind.

"Wait, isn't that the other girl who's trying to date you?" he asked, trying to catch a glimpse of the girl in vain.

"I don't think she wants to date me. People ship us together because she just happens to be the most popular girl in the female student body." Taehyung clarified, irritatedly.

"So she's not after you? That's a first." Jungkook commented, noting with interest how most of the females' faces turned sour at the name as they watched the new entrant.

The confusion gradually began to settle and Jungkook finally caught sight of the girl by the entrance. She was inspecting her nails, seemingly oblivious to the fanfare she was receiving from the guys. Another girl, her best friend he presumed, stood right by her side with a proud smirk. Once the room had calmed down and there was absolute silence, she raised her head.

She was definitely a sight to see with a face so flawless that it looked as if the creator spent a few extra hours sculpting it to perfection. Her eyes were sharp, her jawline distinctive, and her sinful lips were so tragically unreal. Her coffee-brown hair was the same shade as her eyes which looked quite bored. She held herself with such a confident poise, and Jungkook knew the truth at once. The girl was not as oblivious as she pretended to be. She knew exactly what effect she had on them all.

"Sorry," her voice was low, breathy in a way that could charm a guy's pants off. She sauntered forward gracefully, each step like that of a cat. "I'm a bit late."

She swept her luscious hair over her shoulders, earning an appreciative whistle from some guy situated to his left. A faint smirk graced her lips as she shot the guy a quick wink.