10

"I don't know what to do anymore, Dohyeok."

"Have you tried talking to him? He will probably know more than you. It's okay if this lead is lost, you can find out what he knows."

"I don't think he'll open up to me. And I don't wanna fight with him. He just got here." Heiran murmured, sweeping her hair out of her face. It was early morning at 1 am the next day. She hadn't caught a wink of sleep, too preoccupied with trying to handle the matters at the hospital. The doctors had mentioned that they would discharge Jungkook as soon as they got all the test results back and she thanked the higher-ups for whatever miracle saved him from getting too injured. She didn't hear the full story of what had happened yet. What little she had heard didn't please her much either.

"Hang in there, Heiran. I think he will talk soon. Don't worry yourself to death over him and take care of yourself." Heiran could never thank Dohyeok enough for the things he did. Such as staying up late at night just to hear her complain about her life. He genuinely cared about her well-being. It was hard to find people like that in real life.

"Alright, Dohyeok. I'll try. You go to sleep. Sorry for keeping you awake."

"You know I don't mind."

Her phone buzzed against her ears and Heiran squinted at the incoming call.

"Oh, Dohyeok. I'm getting a call. I'll call you back later. Good night."

"Alright. Bye."

When Heiran looked at the caller ID, she was genuinely surprised to see that it was Namjoon of all people. In the busyness of her situation, she had completely forgotten to check back on Namjoon to make sure he was okay. Seeing the man's name light up on her phone was a shock. She answered the call in anticipation, hoping that nothing went wrong. "Hello, Namjoon-ssi?"

"Are you sure you can prove it?"

Heiran gulped at the hoarseness of his voice. It sounded as if he had been drinking. Heiran wondered if Dan Ho was okay. "Kim Namjoon-ssi, are you alright?"

"Are you certain that you can punish them if they...if they really—"

She could hear the strain in his voice, the raw grief. Something in her gut twisted painfully. She took a deep breath and spoke with a conviction she felt in her bones, "I will. I will do everything in my power to bring the truth to light. Whatever it takes."

"Can you keep your word, prosecutor?"

"I can. I promise."

"Fine. I'll give you whatever you want."

* * *

Heiran entered the hospital room, sensing the eager stare of the man who was supposed to be asleep. She shot him a look of loathing. Jungkook winced but did not lie back down as she had commanded him to do with her commanding stare. Instead, he frowned, "You should rest."

She couldn't help but scoff. "You're the one to talk, Jungkook."

"Come on, let's just deal with that another time. You look like a virgin ghost with your dark circles and white hair, hanging around the hospital hallways."

Heiran ignored the eerily accurate comparison with a fiery glare, "Jungkook. I still don't understand. Why? Why was it so hard for you to tell me what was happening? Why did you let things get so worse?"

Jungkook sighed in defeat, his eyes lowered, staring at the flower-printed hospital bed sheet, "I know, Ran. You were right. I didn't think about all the loopholes. I got too emotional."