18

Yoongi held out a cup of steaming hot coffee to the black-eyed raccoon perched over the dining table with as much caution as a bomb squad handling a live explosive.

"You good?"

"Of course! Just peachy!" The raccoon replied with great joy.

He eyed the utensil in the raccoon's hand that she was desperately trying to scoop her soup up with and sighed.

"Maybe you should take the day off today. I can hand in the leave request for you." He offered, sitting down on the dining table as he warily watched her. She sprung down from the table at his offer, dripping what little soup she managed to scoop over herself.

"Why would I take the day off?! Oh! Do I look sick? Well, it's nothing a little make-up can't manage." She responded, injecting as much fake enthusiasm into her voice as possible. Her squeaky tone grated on his nerves.

"Heiran, it's okay to admit it if you're feeling miserable, you know? Just cry it out. Don't do this sh*t. Whatever this is supposed to be. You're freaking me out."

Heiran slammed the fork on her table, making him jump. He splashed his coffee down his shirt and cried in pain as it burned his skin. "Oww, what the—"

"Why must I cry? For what?" She hissed, her livid eyes drilling holes on him. "Oh. Right. The breakup? I almost forgot about it. Who did I break up with again? I'm sorry. I don't even remember who it was because I GOT OVER IT!" She finished with a hysterical laugh.

Yoongi plucked some paper towels off the table to clean up the spilled coffee. This is why he should have been more cautious. He knew he shouldn't have provoked her.

"That's how easy it was. It only took me two minutes to move on." She bragged jovially, examining her nails. Yoongi highly doubted the truthfulness of her statement. "This is nothing new, Yoongi. You know how it is. I get into a relationship, I break up, and I move on. It's always been like that. I'm not miserable at all! This is just normal." She finished, taking a careful sip of her coffee.

"Riiight..." He drawled, "And that's not a fork you are trying to scoop your soup with."

Heiran blinked down at the fork on the table. "Oh! My mistake. Where's my brain?!" She cried, happily.

Yoongi shook his head. "Yeah. I'm wondering the same."

Heiran shortly returned with another fork. Yoongi didn't even bother pointing it out to her that she had gone and gotten the exact same utensil again, leaving her to battle the soup with her fork.

"So...you're really coming to the office today?"

"Yes! I need to work to earn money, Yoongi. That's the sad truth about life. No matter how much I wish it did, money just won't grow on trees!"

Yoongi didn't understand what was up with her high-pitched anime voice. It was insanely annoying to the point it was making his ears itch.

"Well, good luck." He said, at last, giving up on trying to make her see sense.

"Aww, that's really nice of you, Yoongi—"

"F*ck this sh*t! I'm not dealing with this anymore."

* * *

Heiran walked inside her office building, feeling an insane amount of trepidation she should have felt way earlier. She was not ready to face him. How insane was she to think that she could handle it? The thought of catching a glimpse of him, even from afar, was not a pleasant one. One sight of him felt like it could bring her down. One glance would be all it took for her facade to break.