24 pt. 2

The hospital visit was tense. Heiran was surprised to have the doctor confirm that her ligament was intact although a bit stretched. From the way it was hurting, she was almost sure that her leg had become an absolute mess. The nurses at the ER had simply iced and wrapped her leg in an elastic bandage with instructions to give it ample rest. The elbow cut wasn't too severe and she was given the thumbs-up to leave after they had cleaned and dressed the injury. All the while Jungkook hung around her like a shadow, his silence so cold she felt like shivering under his gaze. It was so characteristic of Jungkook to turn cold and silent when he was angered, but something about his quietness was way too disturbing. Even Heiran was feeling quite intimidated by it. His silence seemed to hold a sort of unexplainable weight; it was hard to speak or resist him.

She wondered if this was how his opponents felt at court being on the opposing side of the great Silent Wolf.

He must've taken note of her holding her broken heels in hand at some point. Heiran didn't understand where he was taking her after the hospital visit until he stopped the car in front of a local shoe store. She hated this silence, this inability to not say anything to him. She hated not being in control, being carted around by him wherever he pleased.

Wanting to have some semblance of control over the situation, she remained in the car. She half-expected him to argue with her or speak even if it was just to know her shoe size, but he had no need for that information. He already knew it.

So she was sitting alone in his car, watching the raindrops begin to fall on the windshield one by one, glittering like diamonds as they reflected the light from street lamps. She got out of the car and held out her hand, feeling the light cooling sensation as the droplets fell on her palm. The stars were obscured by rain clouds. The streets were cooling after the hot sun's aggression, she could feel the heat in the air. It was beginning to get late. There was almost no one around in the area. It was calming.

She found a metal bench nearby the store and limped up to it, sitting down to feel the raindrops on her face, wondering how in the world she'd landed herself in this awkward situation. Heiran was going to play it cool, and let him deal with the consequences of his actions until he ran out of his resolve and realized what a stupid mistake he had made. Then she was supposed to exact her revenge when he came back for her. Never in a million years did she imagine ever ending up with him in the awkwardness. This was the worst.

She thought back to the time death paid her a momentary visit earlier. She could still feel the exact moment her heels had snapped and she fell onto the road. The memory made her heart race from fear. She was so sure she would die. So sure that it was all going to end.

The feeling you felt after a close brush in with death was unexplainable. This feeling made you question the fragility of your existence and how small your worldly problems felt in the face of life and death. She had regretted it for a second back then for never saying the things she'd wanted to tell him. The fact that on the threshold of life and death, her greatest regret was him made her question her decisions in a whole new manner. Was Heiran being unnecessarily superficial? These petty feelings and pride... Did they really matter in the end?

Jungkook returned shortly after with a pair of comfy-looking flats in a bag. Upon discovering her on the side-walk bench, he walked up to her crouched down at her feet. Realizing what he was trying to do, she held out her hand to stop him.

"Wait, I can wear it myself, you don't have to do it—"

Jungkook's only response was his bone-chilling stare. Feeling incredibly intimidated, she withdrew her hands and let him be. He inhaled as if to calm himself down. It seemed that he was still very much angry for whatever reason he was angry. "Why didn't you stay in the car? You've gotten your bandage dirty now."