23

The skies were clear and the sun was still warm

The skies were clear and the sun was still warm. But the harsh rays of sunlight barely made it past the thick curtains of Dr. Angela's consulting room. The room was shrouded in shadows as usual but Heiran found a certain comfort in its darkness. The doctor was preparing her notes for the session as she patiently waited, a weird feeling of lightness encompassing the atmosphere. As Angela penned the details on her notepad, Heiran spoke up.

"I did something today that I never thought I could do, Doctor."

"Which is?"

"I confronted her."

Angela paused. She raised her head and looked her in the eyes. As the realization dawned on her that Heiran was telling the truth, a sparkle of approval lit up her eyes. She placed her pen on the table and clasped her hands.

"Go on."

Heiran inhaled a deep breath in preparation as she recounted what happened just a few hours before. She still had trouble believing that she had picked up her courage and went to the prison to visit the one person she never ever wanted to see again. But now that it was over, Heiran didn't understand why she didn't do it before...

The prison room was cold. There was a smell of rust in the air as she walked inside the visitation room. Her fingers were trembling like brittle leaves on a windy day and she clenched them hard. This wasn't the time to show weakness. Although her heart felt as if it would burst any moment and the maddening urge to scratch her insides was back. The last four months were bad, miserable, full of self-pity and loathing and she could only thank one person for turning her life upside down. Regardless of how hard she tried to not let it get to her, the woman came to haunt her in her dreams every single time. Even today, Heiran had woken up in cold sweat after a terrifying nightmare, the echoes of her poisonous whispers still lingering in the back of her mind. That was when she'd made up her mind. Heiran had a single thing in her life that she had never wanted to lose. Now that she lost it anyway, she had nothing to fear. She would end this uncertainty once and for all.

That's what she had thought but the moment she stepped inside the visitation room and saw the malicious smile on the malevolent woman's lips, she didn't know anymore if she could truly get through this. Every cell in her body seemed to protest at her being there. Every inch of her skin felt as if it were on fire. She felt nauseous, so utterly overcome with disgust. Disgust at herself or at the prisoner behind the bars? That, she couldn't tell.

"I knew you would come, prosecutor. I've been waiting for you." Lim Yoona stated, a finger twirling the strands of her hair.

Heiran forced down her nausea and made herself look her in the eye, summoning her composure. "Of course, you did. Isn't that the whole reason you made that phone call?"

Yoona's eyes lit up. "I was sad when you got that no-contact order against me, prosecutor." She pulled her lips into a pout, her eyes enlarged. Heiran wanted to slap that expression off her face. Something in her expression must have given it away; Yoona's lips stretched back into an evil smile. "But I see that you still remember what I told you. Very vividly."