9

Prosecutor Jeon Jungkook stared at the IV tube stuck into the back of his palm, eyeing the pale white tint of hypothermia receding back into his normal olive skin tone. He raised his head and stared up into the faces of the two officers by his bedside wondering if he had misheard them.

This can't be it.

"My car was found in Gwangju? Are you positive?" Jungook questioned in disbelief.
"Yes, sir. We double-checked the plate number." The senior-looking official of the two informed gravely, "The car was quite banged up as you said but it was not in Itaewon."

"What about the truck that I mentioned? Did you find the truck?"

The officer exchanged a look with his subordinate before he answered, "There were no trucks registered to the license plate number you gave us, sir. It's fake."

Jungkook pursed his lips. He should have seen this coming. Of course, they wouldn't be so idiotic as to leave their vehicles traceable. The younger of the two officials seemed to be watching him with skepticism. Jungkook couldn't blame the subordinate much. He was found drugged and unconscious with no awareness of his surroundings whatsoever. His explanations of how he ended up in that state were nonsensical despite being true and his false excuse for being in Itaewon was mediocre at best.

"I can prove that I was in Itaewon," Jungkook stated, trying his best to look collected and composed. Any sign of weakness can turn the tides the wrong way. The senior police officer was quick to respond.

"Oh, don't concern yourself with that, sir. We believe you. We will do everything to find the perpetrators who tried to abduct you."

Thank goodness for his positive image. There were times being well-known came in handy, such as now. People were less inclined to outright suspect you as a drug addict when you were famed for being a hero of justice, even if you had an illegal amount of drug in your system and a problematic tox screen report. He even suspected that his fame was the sole reason he was alive.

Jungkook sighed heavily. There wasn't much the police could do to find the ones who sabotaged him, especially when they didn't know the full story. The ones he was after were much practiced in handling their work. Jungkook doubted there was any evidence left of their shady crimes back in Itaewon.

"Thank you, officer. I appreciate it." He replied, holding back a sigh. He had known that his mission would be a difficult one. He was proven right.

"But prosecutor Jeon," the subordinate officer called. He was a young one, his eyes still had that sparkle that ambitious rookie officers had. Jungkook could already sense the tricky question that he was about to be asked. "Why were you in Itaewon again?"

Jungkook opened his mouth, ready to repeat the poor lie he had groggily fabricated in his half-conscious state earlier when the sound of thundering footsteps echoed down the hallway outside his hospital room. He looked to the door wide-eyed, hoping it was not another reporter when it flung open at once, "Where is he?"

A woman who looked more akin to a wild animal with her billowy blonde hair stood at the threshold with the most predatory look in her eyes. Her shoes were mismatched, her creamy shirt was a crumpled mess, and her faded blue shorts showed all signs of aging. The Ahn Heiran he knew wouldn't be caught dead in that outfit in daylight outside of her home. Still, the sight of her was enough to send his lips stretching into the widest grin, his eyes sparkling with delight, bringing a very distinct rise to his shoulders.

As soon as her eyes zeroed in on him she bellowed at the top of her lungs, "JEON JUNGKOOK, YOU MOTHERTRUCKER!!"

Suffice it to say, his eardrums shattered. He felt sorry for the two police officers in his room who looked at her in alarm. However, he couldn't care less. The wave of emotions crashing inside him was so intense that he almost forgot their presence in the room. Even the fear for his fate at the wild animal who glared at him murderously from across the room couldn't dampen his joy.

The officers glanced at each other, trying to decide if an intervention was needed when Jungkook called out, his arms wide open. "Ran!"

"Don't you 'Ran' me, you little piece of sh*t!" She warned, marching into the room. As she got closer, her eyes widened with a hint of concern. She must have seen his wounds. Ignoring his invitation for a hug, she grabbed a hold of his face turning it either way, trying to see the scope of his injuries. Thankfully, his cheeks only had minor cuts from the broken window glass, but his bandaged head probably didn't look that appealing. She gaped at the hint of red that showed through his dressing. "What the f*ck?! How the f*ck did this happen? Who did this to you? Did you even win?"

Jungkook wanted to correct her that the injuries weren't from a fistfight but a truck crashing into his car. However, no words made it past his lips. If a person could reach a point where one was so overcome with glee that they couldn't form words, he was at that point. So he sat there, smiling, letting Ahn Heiran manhandle his injured self.

The confused officials mouthed to each other, trying to figure out what was going on. Coming to a conclusion that was more than obvious, they cleared their throats awkwardly, excusing themselves. "We will take leave for now. We'll be in touch tomorrow."

Neither Heiran nor Jungkook cared.

She clutched his collars and tried to shake the answers out of him, "Who did this? Tell me, who the f*ck did this? I will f*cking kill them!"

But he could only sit there helpless in his happiness. His lack of response and his infuriating grin seemed to raise her temper. "This is why! This is why you need me, you idiot! You're so f*cking stupid! Do you know that?"

Despite her insults to his intellect, Jungkook was riding the high. He wondered if it was the remains of the drugs in his system acting up or if it was just her. Was it the befuddlement of his waning hypothermia or her face that made him feel like a balloon floating on the clouds?

"Is this what you wanted? You maddening, stupid, utterly irresponsible idiot! Is this how you wanted to fight your 'personal' battles?! Disappointing!"

He felt so wholly blissful, getting his eardrums abused by Ahn Heiran and being on the brink of permanent hearing loss. It was such a kind of contentment that it felt like he could die peacefully right then and there in Ahn Heiran's arms and he wouldn't even complain.

"You vile, infuriating, useless trash can! You're the worst boyfriend I've ever had! How dare you do this? How dare you get hurt! And you call me the troublemaker—"

Perhaps, it was his light-headedness or maybe it was the giddiness, whatever the reason, Jungkook blurted out the first impulsive idea that came into his mind without a second thought.

"Marry me."

"I don't even know why I'm still with you. I should've broken up— wait. What?"

Heiran froze, staring down at him with her lips apart in complete surprise. It was then, that he finally realized what he had spewed out a moment ago.

. . .

Oh.

Shoot.

I did it again. Didn't I?

A/n: Short update

A/n: Short update. I'll be back with more soon, guys. :)