15.5

Just how charming can he be?

Sitting by the wine parlor observing the Mayor, being almost blinded by his perfect set of titanium white teeth, Heiran had to admit she understood a bit why the ladies were all over him. Mayor Choi Mincheol was a looker and a natural charmer. He carried himself with a poise that oozed self-awareness and had an easy smile on his face as he talked animatedly. He wore glasses that Heiran suspected served only to make him appear wiser and nothing else, but his eyes were interesting. Mayor Choi had the eyes of a fox. Cunning. Deceptive. It gave her the impression that there was more to him than what meets the eye. And to be honest, Heiran wasn't too disappointed by what she saw either. Mayor Choi Mincheol was not too bad to look at, owing to his young age. He was the youngest Mayor South Korea had ever seen after all. However, his reign was soon to come to an end with little to no consequence if Chief Moon's words were worth anything.

She discreetly watched the Mayor as she took meager sips of her champagne. Ever since Chief Moon had mentioned the scandal of him being a gang leader, her curiosities were piqued. Scandals were built on lies, Heiran knew, but behind every lie was a grain of truth. However, if she was being honest, the truth behind the rumor didn't matter much at all. She wasn't trying to discover the conspiracies behind the Mayor and Chief Moon's past relationship either. Heiran just needed a distraction, something to take her mind off of the one man she resented the most at the moment.

True, she didn't know the pain of losing her parents to injustice, but that didn't mean Jungkook could treat her like that. It absolutely did not mean he could take his frustrations out on her either. Thinking about it made her blood boil and she tossed back the champagne, seeking out the numbness that only alcohol could bring.

"You will never understand."

It hurt more than she would ever admit. Is that what he thought?

Mayor Choi had vanished from where she had last spotted him. She searched in vain, unable to find the pristine black and white tux he had worn in the crowd. Heiran sighed. There goes my distraction. She should probably call a cab and get out of this place. She had simply no desire to suffer a ride home with Jungkook tonight.

"Hand me a refill, please."

She jumped at the voice that came from beside her, only to find the very same Mayor sitting beside her on the bar stool, his eyes on her and an impish grin on his lips. His brows raised in feigned surprise, "Ah! Is this who I think it is?"

Heiran had the distinct sense that he had caught her watching him. She cocked her head as she peered at his face, "Depends. Who do you think I am?"

His grin widened, "I have heard tales of a woman unrivaled in her beauty in my circle."

The Mayor could serenade too. That was unexpected. Having heard far better praises about her looks in her twenty-six years of existence, Heiran remained unfazed.

The Mayor had more to say. "Though her beauty pales in comparison to her wit, it is often overlooked."

"Ouch."

"A grave mistake on their part, I must say." He commented with a fiendish smirk, accepting his refill with grace.

Heiran narrowed her eyes, "Who are 'they'?" She asked, making air quotes.

"Let's see," he stroked his chin with a thoughtful look. "The news channels, gossip channels, and Chief Moon, I suppose."

She sat up straighter with a frown. What the hell?

Mayor Choi brought his hand forward in one smooth movement, "Prosecutor Ahn Heiran. Pleased to meet you. I am—"

"Mayor Choi Mincheol." Heiran took his hand for a shake. "Pleasure. I didn't know I was famous enough to be on the Mayor's radar. "