Bonus: Adia's First Christmas

Christmas is a little louder this year. I can lie and say it's annoying, which I will, for the sake of my dignity and to avoid the prospect of these idiots ever thinking my life revolves around them (which it doesn't, I have a family, duh), but yeah I'd be lying. I know it, they know it, but isn't that what Christmas is about? ̶ ̷L̷y̷i̷n̷g̷?̷ No, not lying. ̷W̷h̷a̷t̷ ̷a̷m̷ ̷I̷ ̷s̷a̷y̷i̷n̷g̷?̷ ̷W̷h̷y̷ ̷a̷m̷ ̷I̷ ̷d̷o̷i̷n̷g̷ ̷t̷h̷i̷s̷

Bryce twirled his pen between his fingers, trying to think of what he could write that wouldn't make him seem like a two-bit asshole today of all days.

It's Christmas Eve, and unlike the last few Christmas Eves that graced the house of the couple, Bryce and Ian aren't celebrating it by themselves this year.

This year, instead of doing a quick exchange of gifts in the form of hot sex on the floor under the Christmas tree, Bryce and Ian decided to go the other way, replacing sin with many gifts, big and small. Instead of watching an episode of Gilmore Girls and passing out in each other's arms before it was even midnight, they decided to clear the living room enough for a dozen people to fit in and do the same.

And instead of going for the same old plain Christmas lights and wreath on the front door, Bryce went out early in the morning to shop for new decorations, finding himself smiling like an idiot in the middle of the ornament aisle as he imagined his husband putting them up while holding their daughter in his arm.

It's what happens when you find yourself in a new family, a family of your own, and an adorable little girl whose smile alone can make you do everything and anything between laying your life for her and making the entire house look like the inside of a snow globe.

Bryce looked up from his notepad and came face to face with the fruits of their efforts to make their house crowd friendly. Crumpled gift wrappers were scattered in pretty much every corner of the room, and throw pillows lay astray on the floor, the aftermath of a bunch of thirty-year-olds playing pillow fight in the middle of the living room.

Come To Mama played in the corner, but Bryce could barely hear it over the sound of everyone laughing at Blake's jokes. Cate and Allison had been cackling the loudest on the other side of the couch while Asher and Cameron sat on the opposite, chuckling timidly as they silently shared a bottle of chardonnay beside them.

"You don't look very happy," Cameron stated, smirking as he swirled the drink in his glass.

Asher scoffed. "I've heard that joke a thousand times," he complained, unaware of Blake pausing the joke to listen to his rant while Cate and Allison hid their laughter. "My nightmares start with a court jester walking into a bar."

"I can't believe you put up with him," Allison whispered not so quietly next to Blake.

"It's a day job," Blake replied.

Asher glared at them from under his eyebrows while Cameron snickered beside him. "I heard that," he said.

"You were supposed to!" Allison and Blake retorted.

Bryce smiled as laughter boomed again, shaking his head as picked his pen back up.

I'm trying to remember a time when our house was quiet. I can't. Even if I could, I can't get myself to miss it. Seeing these idiots again after a long time, in matching pajamas no less, is much better than an average Sunday. God, I'm getting sappy. Anyway, it's Christmas. Who's to say I can't?

"Hey, where's my favorite girl?" Cate asked, looking around.

"Right here," Blake and Allison answered at the same time, and Cate rolled her eyes at them.