Chapter 13: Step One? Denial

Shopping for costumes a day before Halloween was probably Emery's worst idea ever

"I kept telling you we should've done this last week," Ian complained as they squeezed through the tight horde of people, the stench of unwashed clothes and sweat invading- no, colonizing his lungs. "Ugh, this place smells like a chicken coop."

"Stop complaining. We're only here because you refused to come early," Emery reminded him as he raised his hands that held a piece of his chosen costume to slip through the crowd.

"I have slept through an earthquake, Em so I sure as hell am not gonna wake up at 5 a.m. for a stupid costume," Ian crossed his arms, feeling aggravated as he pointed at Emery's hands. "and put that thing down, I already told you we're not going as a giant bra."

Emery's shoulders slumped in disappointment. "But it was so cool when the Finnigan twins did it!"

"Stupid. Not 'cool'. Stupid."

The redhead let out a sigh and tossed the massive foam over his head in surrender. "Fine," he grumbled, consequently hitting a fellow shopper straight in the face. "Watch it, man!"

"Shut up, Greg!" he flipped the guy off before looking behind him.

"Hey, the guys are here," he gestured towards the hats section as he gently elbowed Ian on the side, gaining his attention.

Ian looked up from the items he was holding towards Emery's line of sight where he found Asher and Blake messing around with devil's horns. Blake's mouth was wide open as he laughed at what Ian could only assume, judging by how done Asher looked, a perverted joke Blake made on his own. Emery was already dragging him towards them before he could speak, leaving him with no choice but to move his feet.

"Asher! Blake!" he called, rising on his tippy toes so the boys could see him through the blockage of customers. Blake twisted his head in the direction of the voice not a second later, eyes smiling as he caught a glimpse of his teammates. "Hey!"

"We didn't know you guys come here," Emery said once they were face-to-face. Ian silently stood beside his best friend, attention wandering somewhere else.

"This is literally the only costume shop in town."

"Right," Emery scratched the back of his neck, peering around. "Where are the others?"

"Cameron's buying drinks for the party at Shawn's tomorrow night," Asher answered for them while Em hummed in response. "You guys are coming, right?"

"Of course. We'd never miss it for the world," Emery turned around with a questioning look when Ian didn't back him up. "Hey, partner you still with me?"

"Huh? Yeah- yeah, I'm here," he gulped, eyes wide. "Sup, Asher."

"Seriously?" Blake questioned, palms open as he looked at the brunet with a hurt face.