Chapter 14: Step Two... Oh sh*t

Ian was uncertain of what outfit to wear at the Halloween party tonight and frankly, he was nervous about going

Ian was uncertain of what outfit to wear at the Halloween party tonight and frankly, he was nervous about going. He's not close with any of the players of the basketball team, let alone the captain who also happens to be the host, some guy named Shawn. From what Blake told them though, Shawn is a nice guy. He never elaborated, so Ian's still a bit skeptical.

Plus, that wasn't the only thing that's been pushing him to anxiously chew on his fingernails.

Ian drowned in the noise of Emery's blower to the back of his head as he thought about the details of what happened last night. It was a blur, but fragments of memories were slowly coming back to him, from when he stood on the liquor table daring strangers to make out with him, to when he actually made out with someone in what he can vaguely remember as a pool.

Of course, he was certain that someone was Bryce.

Emery turned the deafening sound of the drier off, hair messy as he looked at Ian through his reflection in the mirror.

"It's unharmful."

Ian squinted his eyes at him. "You mean harmless."

"I..." the redhead trailed before rolling his eyes. "Just drink it, alright? I swear to you it works."

"Look, you're my best friend and I trust you and all but," Ian stared at the white tablet sitting on his palm, tone skeptical. "I don't feel so good about this."

"Jesus, Ian we're gonna be late for the party. It's Ibuprofen, just a different brand," Emery pressed, ruffling his hair one last bit before turning away from the mirror. "I take it every time I'm hungover. It works, okay? I lived."

After hesitating for a couple more seconds, Ian decided to shove the pill in his mouth, swallowing hard as he prayed he won't get something worse than diarrhea. He checked on his watch to see that they still have a couple of minutes left to make it to Shawn's party. Looking out of the window, Ian noticed the streets slowly getting rallied with kids and teenagers carrying trick or treat baskets, all dressed in their favorite Halloween costumes. He smiled, remembering the days when he used to dress up like they do, knocking at random people's doors to ask for candies and chocolates. Just thinking about it made him want to go back in time, to when the greatest problem he had was how to hide 10 flavored beans in his pocket so his mom won't have to confiscate them all.

"Hey, which one of these do you think will get me laid tonight?" Emery asked, turning to his best friend with two different jackets in both hands. "I feel like the leather is a bit too showy, but the trucker makes me feel like a pervert."

Ian spaced out for a moment before answering. "If I were you and I wanted to get laid, I'd go with the leather and a pocket of magic fairy dust," he said before laughing at his own joke.

Emery scoffed, throwing the trucker jacket at Ian's face. "Yeah keep laughing."

"You didn't tell me why we had to lose the costumes," Ian queried after getting the cloth off his face, eyes following Emery's every move.