Chapter 28: Bad Days

"I'm gonna kill him," Emery's nails dug deep on the steering wheel, slowing down as they neared the school's parking lot

"I'm gonna kill him," Emery's nails dug deep on the steering wheel, slowing down as they neared the school's parking lot. Ian had told him everything that happened, and he literally had to drag the redhead boy by the collar to keep him from harassing Bryce and his... acquaintance in their room. Emery gave up eventually, but he hasn't stopped talking about it since they left the hotel a few minutes ago. "That's it, I'm going to chop his head off and feed it to my dog."

"No, no," he went on, earning himself a sigh from Ian beside him who's been awfully quiet the whole ride. "I will chop his head and dick off and then feed him to my dog."

Emery's eyes lit up in a murderous sparkle. "No-"

"Emery," Ian tiredly interrupted. "I really don't wanna talk about this right now."

The redhead looked at him through the rearview mirror, inwardly sighing as he bit back another backstabbing threat to the guy who broke his best friend's heart. "Did you recognize the guy?" he asked Ian in a soft tone as he pulled over next to a worn Japanese jeep just as the faint sound of the lunch bell rang.

"No," Ian answered, opening the door to his side of the car. "and I don't care."

Except that he does. The image of that guy doing things he used to with Bryce - his skeletal fingers that were much shorter than Ian's roaming on his chest, his lips on Bryce, Bryce's body against his back - it all kept replaying in Ian's mind like a broken stereo, and he hated it. Every bit of it. "I'm just moving further without you," he recalled the blond saying and felt his heart shrink twice its size.

Ian knew he wasn't in the position to be upset. They never made it official, never asked each other out, never actually "broke up". But it still hurt that Bryce was able to throw him out of his life like that because of a mistake. A mistake that was out of his control. Ian gritted his teeth as his eyes began to well with tears again. He wanted to punch him. Punch his face for not trying to fix anything, but a voice in his head kicked him out of his reverie.

He's Bryce, it said. He does this kind of stuff. What did you think you were special?

"Are you sure you don't wanna go home?" Emery interrupted his thoughts, eyes following Ian as he stepped outside the car. Their feet sunk in the white snow, leaving a trail of shoeprints as they made their way inside the building.

"I'm fine, Em," Ian muttered without looking at Emery as he pushed the blue doors open. "I don't wanna miss class."

All the classrooms were almost empty when they got inside, the roar Ian felt in his stomach telling him that it was already lunch break. His body wanted him to eat, but he didn't have the appetite.