Part 20 - Cry Me A River

Ever since you put the pieces together you haven't spoken with Tony at all. Of course it's a weird reaction and he has no idea why you're acting that way. That's the reason for his multiple calls and texts over the last couple of days. He wants an explanation and it makes sense, but you don't have the courage to talk to him just yet.

You've been like a ghost the whole day in the office, just like these last couple of days. Some people have noticed and tried to come close to you for help but you didn't open up to them. If you start talking about it you're sure you're going to end up crying and that's the last thing that you want.

"What is this?" Ethan asks you with a paper in his hand.

"Isn't it the report you asked for?" you crease your eyebrows.

"No, it's not. This is from the last deal. What's going on with you lately?" he asks calmly.

"I'm so sorry" you sigh.

"I'm having a few bad days, I promise I'll come back to my senses" you explain.

Ethan closes the door of your office to give you two more privacy, sensing that it's a very sensitive matter.

"Excuse me if I'm disrespecting some boundaries here, but does your mood have anything to do with Stark?" he asks nicely.

You look away and gulp, trying to fight off the tears. Even though you manage not to cry, it's still obvious that this is the reason you're hurting. You nod and show him that Tony is once again behind your bad mood.

"Don't let him ruin your day, let alone your life. I don't know what he did but I've interacted with him enough to know that you deserve better" he takes a seat in front of your desk.

"I'm starting to believe that's true" you shake your head.

"Take the rest of the day off. I want you to be back on your feet, the conference is coming soon and you're a very important part of it" he says.

"No, no, no. I can focus on work, I promise" you get all serious.

"I know you can, I'm just trying to help you. Leave, clear your head and come back tomorrow" he smiles.

"I'm sorry" you sigh.

"Don't be, hope you're better when I see you tomorrow" he stands up.

"Thank you" you smile at him.

He smiles back at you before he exits the room and leaves you behind. You get your stuff and indeed try to make the best out of your afternoon. Starting with a delicious iced coffee, you decide to run some errands now that you have the time. And of course, some shopping therapy. At least the sadness can be hidden temporarily under the happiness these materials are bringing you.

But unfortunately, that temporarily happiness doesn't even last for a few hours. Because just when you were enjoying the day off in your house, you heard something you didn't expect at all. A knock on the door, followed by your doorbell. You immediately left the plate of food you were holding aside and quietly moved towards the door.

"Sh*t" you gasp when you see Tony's figure through the peephole.

He keeps on ringing the doorbell repeatedly, running out of patience. Although, you're still on the other side of the door, heart pounding. You're sitting on the floor, unable to move or speak. The shock you're going under is paralysing you.

"Alice, open the door. I know you're in there, I'm not stupid" he sounds angry.

Hearing his voice only makes things worse. You never imagined his return being like this. All you wanted to do was to run into his arms and hug him tightly. But you can't. You don't even want to face him, speak to him, or touch him at all.

"Are you okay? I'm worried" he speaks again.

Some burning tears are already running down your cheeks, you can't control it. You still can't even decide if you should talk to him or not.

"I will call the police, I'm serious" he says seriously.

"No, don't" you answer quickly.

"What the hell is this? Why are you acting like this? I thought something happened to you" he asks.

"You happened" you gulp strongly.

"What does that even mean?" he questions.

"I can't do this right now, Tony, I'm sorry" you shake your head.

"I don't understand, open the door. Let's talk in person" he suggests.

"I don't want to see you" your voice is cracking.

"Why? Baby, what happened?" he sounds worried.

"I know what you did" you find the courage to speak.

"Wh-What did I do?" he's confused.

You can't believe what's happening. Even now he's still acting clueless. You take your time and catch your breath, wanting to sound more calm than you are.

"Talk to me" he hits the door because of his lack of patience.

"I know you slept with her" you finally say.

Now it's his turn to be quiet. And his silence is saying more than anything his mouth could. You start crying all over again, the pain is indescribable.

"Who told you that? It's not true" he answers in panic.

"No one told me. I put the pieces together by myself" you say between sobs.

"You're wrong. Baby, please, why would you even think that?" he asks.

"I found her ring in your bathroom and saw the mark on her neck. Also, her being in your room was so obvious and then your text. You were feeling guilty and then panicked when I told you you texted me something when you were drunk" you rest your back against the door and slowly slide down, feeling powerless.

"What ring? I have no idea what you're talking about. And that text was a simple I love you text because I do. I love you, baby, let me in" he says.

"You're not even going to admit it? Excuses won't make things any better" you're furious with him.

"Open the door, please" he begs.

"No, just leave" you breathe fast.

"I'm not leaving, we need to talk normally" he insists.

"I don't want to hear more of your lies" you say loudly, only showing how cracked your voice really is.

"Only truths then. Just let me in, I can't stand the fact that you're crying" he's also very emotional.

"You're the reason I'm crying. I'm asking you to leave, I don't want to see your face ever again" you speak cruelly at him.

"Don't say that. I just got back, baby. I missed you so much, please let me in. I love you" his voice shows off his panic.

"Stop telling me more lies" you shake your head and breathe sharply.

A few moments of silence follow again. You can't stop yourself from breaking down, the whole situation is so intense.

"I admit it, okay? I f*cked up. But I love you, I really do. Give me a second chance, I swear I'm never doing it again" his whole body is pressed against the door.

"She wasn't even the only one, was she?" you've run out of tears, you're only sobbing.

"I'm sorry, I truly am" he cries too.

"That's not enough" you answer and fall on the floor, unable to handle the stabbing pain in your heart.

"Alice, please" he begs.

Although, you can't talk back anymore. All you can do is stay lying on the floor, sobbing uncontrollably and having a hard time breathing.

"Don't do this to me, baby, I'm begging you" he keeps on crying outside of your door.

You curl up in your own arms and shut off the sounds coming from his side of the door. As much as you can anyway.

After an unknown amount of time, since you lost count of it, you stopped hearing him. Maybe he left, or stopped speaking, or maybe you successfully turned off any sound from around you.