Part 47 - Hotline Bling

During your lunch break, you quickly ran to Anne's office to find her and catch up. It's a day that you have the opportunity to spend your break with no pressure and it's been a while since the last time it happened so you want to enjoy it.

"What?" you murmur to yourself when you find her office empty.

You hadn't made plans officially but most of the times she's around for lunch break and you spend the time together. With a disappointed look on your face you go back to your office and pick up your phone to call her.

"Hey" she answers after a few rings.

"Hey, where are you? I just came over your office and it looked very empty" you ask her.

"I left a bit earlier since I didn't have much to do. I didn't know you'd have spare time today" she explains.

"It's okay, I should've said something" you sigh.

"You know what? Talk to me either way, I'm not doing anything important. I can stay on the line" she suggests.

"Really?" you sound excited.

"Yes, I can sense your tone, you want to talk about something, don't you?" she asks playfully.

"I do actually" you admit.

"Go ahead" she says.

"Give me a moment to grab something to eat, I'll call you right back" you tell her.

She agrees and you proceed with going to the kitchen and get your lunch. You're going to have to spend your lunch break in your office, which doesn't excite you at all considering that you're there all day anyway, but at least Anne is going to keep you company in her own way.

"So?" Anne asks you through the phone.

"Promise me you won't judge" you start.

"I can't promise that if your first sentence is like this" she laughs.

"Come on" you roll your eyes, knowing that she can't see you.

"I'll do my best" she then says.

"It's about Matthew..." you say carefully.

"What about him?" she sounds skeptical.

"Going out with him and potentially working together here had me thinking...and I realised I miss the kind of relationship we used to have. And don't get me wrong, I don't miss Matthew, I'm in love with Tony. I just wish he was a little bit more romantic sometimes" you admit.

"I mean, I get it. Tony has always been like this ever since you started dating. He's just not the romantic partner you'd like him to be" she weirdly agrees with you.

"He's not very open but he's romantic in his own ways. He shows his emotions differently, whenever he feels like it at least" you add.

"We all know how he shows his emotions. And judging by your inability to sit down without flinching in pain the last days, I believe he's still not the romantic type" she teases you while laughing.

"Shut up" you laugh, trying to hide your embarrassment.

"Well, am I wrong? He's more angry and possessive than he is romantic and thoughtful" she asks.

"I know, I know. With Matthew it was so different, we never had to deal with fights like that. I know Tony can be very difficult but Gosh, the times he decides to be sweet are truly special" you daydream about them.

"Are these times often enough, though?" Anne asks you with doubt.

You take a moment to exhale deeply but your silence speaks for itself. You try to hide it by pretending to be eating instead of pausing for so long but it's inevitable.

"You should talk about it with him. Don't mention the part about missing your ex-relationship though" she chuckles.

"I was obviously never planning on doing that" you roll your eyes.

"So, will you talk to him about it?" she asks.

"I want to, but I'm scared. I don't want to push him to be someone he's not" you say sadly.

"I understand, but you also deserve to be with someone who makes you happy and meets your needs" Anne responds.

"I know, but it's not that simple. What if he reacts badly to it and it pushes him away? He just finally committed more to our relationship. Asking even more from him could easily backfire" you share your concerns.

"You won't know until you try. Best case scenario, he agrees with you. Worst case scenario, you have another thing to fight about" she advises you.

"I'm so tired of fighting" you complain.

"It's a toxic environment, I'm not going to lie to you. I honestly don't know how you've managed to stay for so long after all that he's done" she says carefully.

"I just love him so much, and I keep hoping that things will get better, which they did by the way" you admit to Anne.

"He's really putting more effort this time. There are still glimpses of his old self, but I appreciate the change for the better" you add, smiling.

"That really makes me so happy to hear. But keep an eye open and don't be afraid to speak up and take action if things start to go downhill again" she says.

"Yes, of course" you nod but also gulp nervously.

After your conversation with Anne, you feel more determined to talk to Tony about your relationship. Not immediately jumping right in the heart of your concern, but maybe just talking to him and telling him how much you love him will wake up his soft side. Even if you hear him say these 3 little words back, it will make you smile and you know it.

But when you call him, he doesn't pick up. You feel a pang of sadness in your chest, wondering if he's avoiding you or if something else is going on. You try not to jump to conclusions, but your mind can't help but race with negative thoughts. You decide to give him some space and wait for him to reach out to you.

Later in the day, Tony finally reaches out and sends you a text message.

"Hey, sorry I missed your call earlier. I've been swamped with work and didn't have a chance to check my phone until now. How are you doing?" you feel a sense of relief wash over you.

"I'm alright, it's a good day at work today. How about you?" you continue to chat for a bit, catching up on each other's day.

"I'll be home after 6, should I make a reservation at the Velvet?" he refers to your favourite restaurant.

"I'd love that, thank you" you smile as you send the reply.

You decided to take things slow and not bring up your relationship at dinner. It was very enjoyable and relaxing to even think of bringing such a topic up. You want to enjoy the conversation and not put any pressure on Tony when the time comes. But you can't help but feel hopeful that things will work out between you.