the lucky compass

me and sarah decided that afternoon we should have a twin sleepover in the boat from funsies. we stayed up all night gossiping, laughing, and even crying. moments like this is what makes me happy to have my very own twin. i was sleeping soundly when i heard a loud clang and groaned. "shut up, wheezie." i heard sarah mumble. i felt the blankets shift around. "you're not wheezie."

i opened my eyes and sat up, looking right at john b who had the scuba tanks in his hands. i chuckled. john b cleared his throat and his face was red form embarrassment. "correct. yeah." he mumbled. "i'm sorry."

i tilted my head to the left and looked up and down. "what are you doing here?" i asked slyly.

he scratched the back of his neck and sighed. "um... i'm just dropping off some some scuba gear." he replied. he looked between me and sarah. "what are you two doing here?"

sarah nodded, making herself sit up a little more. "its' our boat." she deadpanned. "its also the only place with air conditioning." john b slightly moved his head back down to the scuba gear. "so... did you top the tanks?"

he froze in his spot, not looking at either of us. "um- no. no, the power's down, so the compressors were off." he hesitated.

i hummed, looking at the tanks in his hands. "so, you're sneaking on our boat at 5:30am. with empty tanks?" i asked. i seethed through my teeth before letting out a breath. "we'll make sure to tell ward."

john b nodded again. "okay, cool." he sighed. he started walking towards the middle of the room. "just place these right here."

"in the middle of the room is fine." sarah pointed.

john b shrugged. "yeah, this is what he told me to do." he whispered. sarah waved and laid back down on the couch as he walked out. i started to do the same before he came back in. "wait-wait, um." he started. sarah raised a brow sitting back up as i did the same. "actually, what exactly were you gonna tell your dad?"

he looked at me and i shrugged. "nothing much." i replied. "just that you poached our scuba gear."

john b ran a hand down his face and started walking back and forth. me and sarah watched trying not to laugh. "okay, fuck. i borrowed it for a few hours." he claimed. "okay? And then i brought it back intact and unharmed."

sarah hummed. "minus air." she added.

john b looked at us once again with a pleading look on his face. "look, please don't tell him. okay? he'll fire me." he begged.

i looked towards sarah who had an expression on her face saying she didn't wanna be messed with. i shot a innocent smile at john b. "what are you gonna do?" i asked. "pull a gun on me?"

john b scoffed placing his hands on his hips. "look, i didn't know jj was gonna do that." he reposnded.

sarah chuckled, moving her hair out of her face. "that's convenient to believe." she muttered. "maybe you should get better friends?"

"maybe you should get a better boyfriend." john b fired back.

sarah sent him a glare as i rolled my eyes. "like one who doesn't poach?" i replied cockily. john b started stressing again and i chuckled. "relax. we're not gonna say anything."

sarah nodded her head and turned to john b. "your secrets safe with us, john b." she said. john b smiled at her and let out a breath of relief. it was silent for a few second. "okay, you can leave now."

john b nodded and pointed towards the door. "yeah, right. i'll leave now." he said, speed walking out. sarah rolled her eyes before flopping back onto the couch and falling back asleep. i sighed, forcing myself to walk outside. it wasn't as warm as it usually was. it was cool and the breeze made it better. i sat on the ledge watching the sunrise and stayed, thinking about nothing.

the mid-afternoon came quickly, me and sarah went to the market to get some snacks for the week. we were talking about a party when john b stormed by us. we both looked confused. "hey, john b." she called out. he didn't answer. "i'm sorry, that's it? not even a hey, how you doin? or kiss my ass?"

i chuckled at sarah's comment before john b stormed up and got into our faces. "you guys are exactly how i thought you two were." he seethed. "your secrets safe with us?"

i furrowed my brows as sarah did too. "what secret?" she asked. sarah looked at me with confusion and i shrugged. her face lightened and she smiled, rolling her eyes. "oh, that secret."

john b looked angry and pointed at us. "i just got fired because of you two." he replied. "and i know you can't imagine that, but some people need jobs so they can eat."

we stood there still confused as he knocked the snacks out of our hands and stomped off. "what the fuck?" i shouted as sarah picked up the snacks that fell. "asshole. we never said shit to dad."

sarah scoffed, looking the direction john b ran off too. "whatever." she said. "let's not worry about it. he's a douche." i nodded in response we turned the opposite direction and walked.