the runaway: two

the next morning dad told me and sarah to pack our bags since we're flying out to the bahama's. me and sarah were confused, but we obeyed. i slung my bag into the back of the mercedes as sarah climbed into the front seat next to dad and me sitting in the back. the drive was silent and i heard sarah sigh as she looked out the window. "dad, i don't understand why spencer and i need to go to the bahama's." she said. "i-i think we really need to talk to john b."

dad shook his head as he drove. i sat up with my arms crossed as me and sarah made eye contact in the side mirror, trying to piece things together. "no, girls, i told you. john b is not himself right now. this isn't forever. it's just until they're able to find himand get him the help he needs." i licked my lips and scoffed. "trust me, all right?"

the rest of the drive was quiet again. i started putting two and two together before i realized. john b was telling the truth. we had just pulled into the airstrip and i remember seeing something familiar on dad's desk while in the office. mrs. crain's house for sale. the gold was on the plane. my expression dropped as i got out of the car and sarah did the same.

she looked towards me and gasped. i walked towards dad and tapped his shoulder as the workers were loading the boxes onto the plane. "what's in the boxes, dad?" i asked, with a frown.

he stopped for a second and placed his hands on his hips. "uh, just some, uh...decorative marble pieces that rose found for properties down there." he stuttered. "antiques, i think."

i looked around for sarah who was walking up to another worker as i followed behind her. "excuse me. hi. what's in those crates?" she asked nicely as the worker gave her a look.

i felt a hand grip my arm harshly and dad was behind us. "hey, hey." he said sternly.

me and sarah whipped our heads around as we were being dragged away. "no, excuse me." i said, trying to escape his grasp. "dad, stop!"

sarah tried wiggling her way out. "i was just asking a question." she replied.

dad started leading us towards the plane door and he started pushing us up. "get on the plane." he said. 

"no." we both answered.

"please get on the plane." he raised his voice. "we have to get going girls."

sarah managed to get out of his grasp, pulling me towards her. "no, we changed our minds." she said out of breath

i nodded, rubbing my good wrist, which was the one dad was grabbing. "yeah, dad, we're going home." i added. i watched dad's expression changed as he grabbed me by the waist and grabbed sarah's arm harshly. "dad! let me go! we're not going!"

as me and sarah tried to escape, screaming no, dad stopped. "do not cause a scene, girls." he whispered. i yelled as i felt something hit my leg. me and sarah were forced to climb up as dad shoved us into the plane seats when we had tears streaming down our faces. "you two listen to me!" he shouted as he started the plane.

i sobbed hysterically, as the plane started to speed up. i saw something out the window and sighed of relief. john b's van was right next to us as sarah's window was down as he looked between both of us. "hey. it's okay, it's okay!" john b shouted so we could hear him.

dad noticed quickly and started waving his hand around. "get off the runway!" he yelled at john b. "get off!"

i watched as john b sped up and pulled about 100 feet forward in front of the plane as sarah gasped. "stop! you're gonna kill him!" sarah screeched as dad slammed on the breaks.

my head flung forward, smacking into sarah's seat as the plane started slowing down. once it came to a complete stop, sarah and i unbuckled ourselves and ran quickly out the plane door and straight to john b. " john b! you're okay!" sarah sobbed, grabbing his face.

dad pointed at john b angrily. "you trying to kill them?" he shouted. "you trying to kill us?" john b held us close as our dad started walking quickly towards us. "get away from him."

he tried to grab me and sarah but john b pulled me and sarah back, holding us tightly and not letting go. "get away from us!" i shouted. "and don't tell us what to do." 

we heard sirens starting to approach as sarah looked to john b, telling him to leave. "you think this changes anything?" dad said. "it doesn't." a cop car pulled up as sheriff peterkin stepped out with her hand on her waist belt. "oh, susan, thank god you're here. i told you he lost his goddamn mind."

i watched as she pulled out her gun, pointing it at dad. my mouth parted. "put your hands on your head." she muttered. 

dad chuckled and looked at john b. "i'd do what she says." he replied.

john b had a small smile. "i think she's talking to you, ward." he shrugged.

peterkin stepped closer to dad and stopped. "you're under arrest for the murder of 'big john' routledge." she said. "i got ya."

sarah practically fell in john b's arms as he held onto us. dad scoffed and turned around. "are you kidding me?" he asked and argued back and forth.

"put your hands on your head!" peterkin yelled, stepping closer. i watched as dad turned to us and did what she said. "drop to your knees." he did just that as peterkin put her gun away and grabbed his wrists, cuffing them behind his back. "i don't like being used. i waited a long time for this."

i was in shock. my dad was being arrested for murder right in front of me. tears fell down my face as i watched closely. i was brought of my trance by a gun shot. i grabbed onto john b as i looked at dad first, who looked perfectly fine. my eyes slowly trailed up to peterkin as i saw her suit start to turn a dark red. my mouth dropped open as i cried again.

i watched peterkin fall to her knees and onto her back. i looked up in horror and rafe walked out from behind the plane. "rafe, no." i whimpered.

he smiled and moved his hair out of the way. as dad got up in shock. "rafe, what did you do?" he asked slowly.

rafe looked up with a proud face as he walked towards dad. "i saved you dad." he replied. 

"i saved you."