dead calm: two

everyone got out of the van as jj held the melted gold in his hand. "hell of a job melting it down, dr frankenstein." jj said as kie rolled her eyes.

kie gave him a dirty look. "like you could've done any better." she replied sassily.

jj nodded and stood next to me. "i could have. i took a welding class." he tried to justify his actions. "how did i get this job anyway?"

"because you're the best liar." john b coughed as we all walked into the pawn shop. me, kie, and sarah took a walk over to the antique section, pretending to have interest in some of the items as jj tried to negotiate with the cashier.

i tried to tune out most of the conversation but sarah tapped my shoulder and motioned to jj. his body was facing away as he sounded irritated but then relaxed quickly. "my mom." he lied. i tried to hold in my laugh. "she had all this jewelry laying around the house and she thought it was best to, uh, melt it down."

the cashier look at him with her eyebrow raised. "seven pounds?" she asked, sounding like she didn't believe a word he said. "that's a lot of earrings."

jj sighed. "to be honest maam." he started. "it's really hard to see my mom gal apart with alzheimer's." i covered my mouth, trying to hide my smile as the cashier walked to the back of the store.

jj looked around at all of us with a smile and a thumbs up before the cashier came back out. "i talked to my boss." she said, writing down something on a piece of paper. "this is what i can do."

the blonde looked up in disbelief and scoffed. "fifty thousand." he said. "you think i walked in here not knowing the spot price? maam, i know for a fact that this is worth 140, at least."

the cashier rolled her eyes. "sweetie, this is a pawn shop." she deadpanned. "this ain't zurich. do i look swiss to you?"

"ninety or i walk." jj negotiated.

"seventy, half price." she said and leaned closer to him.

she whispered something as he looked over to john b, who gave him a thumbs up. "i'm gonna need that in large denominations please." he said.

"well here's the snag." the cashier said. "i don't have that much denominated, not here at least. i can write you a cashiers check."

i watched as jj put his fingers on the bridge of his nose. "no, maam. i want the cold hard. that's what the sign says right? cash for gold. and that's what i expect."

she said something else and gave him a slip of paper. next thing i knew, we were all in the back of the twinkie. i sat next to the window, looking out at all the trees that we passed by. sarah sat next to me and we played rock paper scissors to pass time. "so they keep the money out here?" pope asked.

jj nodded. "that's what she said." he replied then snickered. "that's what she said."

"stop." pope said quickly.

sarah chuckled and looked out the window. "i've never heard of resurrection drive." she said.

jj rolled his eyes. "that's cause you're rich." he teased as i glared at him. he put his hands up in defense.

"you've never heard of it either." kie defended as she looked outside. "there's nothing but weeds back here."

jj shrugged. "alright, just because there's a bunch of weeds, doesn't mean-"

he was interrupted by police sirens coming from behind us. i shot up and looked through the back window. "cops?" kie asked panicked. "out here?"

i looked towards jj who had a bag of weed in his hand. "hey! stash that!" i said grabbing it from him and helping him hide it. jj rolled his eyes. "seriously! we're gonna get in more trouble if they find it!"

jj chuckled and nodded. "you're cute when you're mad." he mumbled.

i shot up and look at him confused. "what?" i asked before i heard a gun cock from outside.

i turned slowly as i saw a gun pointed at john b's head. "why don't i go ahead and see them hands in the air." the guy shouted. "all y'all's hands up in the air!"

i slowly raised my hands as he made john b get out and open the back door for all of us to get out. "go on!" he shouted. "let's get out of the car!" i stepped out as the gun was pointed at me. "there we go pretty girl, here we go! out of the car!"

jj followed behind as he tried to talk to the guy. "we're broke-"

"shut the hell up!" the guy yelled in his face. "blow your damn head off! lay in the ditch, on your hands and knees."

i did exactly what he said with tears falling down my face. my heart beating rapidly as i looked to jj next to me. his jaw locked as he looked at me then looked down, grabbing his hat. "it's a setup guys." pope said.

jj scoffed. "that old bat shanked us." he shouted. "fuck! goddamn it!" he slammed his fists into the ground.

i watched as more tears fell down my face. i couldn't find sarah and i was terrified, then i heard her small whimpers. "wait, no, no, no, no." she whimpered as i saw john b get up.

i shook my head. "john b, no." i whispered quietly as my voice broke. i felt a kick on my calf as jj shushed me and grabbed my hand, squeezing it. i looked up in shock, being extremely confused by the gesture.

i heard the guy walk over and quickly let go of jj's, unfortunately ruining our moment. "y'all stay like that unless you want your brains blown out all over this road!" he shouted as he walked back towards his car.

i looked over to jj who was already looking at me. i watched as his eyes trailed my face worriedly as i heard john b shout. "guys i got the gun!"

we all looked up and sprinted towards the car. as the guy got out of the car, jj socked him in the stomach and i took i few steps back, next to sarah. he started to get up and shockingly i kicked him. "asshole!" i shouted, kicking him again. kie pulled me back as sarah slammed the car door on him a few times.

pope grabbed the gold and stepped back towards the van. the guy was sitting against his car, desperate for air. "i know this guy!" jj shouted. "he's a basehead."

sarah scoffed and shook her head. "he probably knows our brother." she said.

"he sells coke to my dad." jj scoffed as he grabbed something out of the guys pocket.

"listen, i could hurt any single-" jj kicked him in the stomach as everyone yelled at him to chill out.

jj opened his wallet and took out his drivers license. "we got one last stop." he said as he walked towards the van and got in the drivers side.

oh lord.