the darkest hour: two

kie stopped before stepping onto her porch. she told me about her parents freaking out about her going to charleston. i didn't really know how to respond but when she brought up them sending her to boarding school i was a little taken aback, but we'll get to that later. she looked at me an uneasy look and sighed, walking up the steps next to me. "mom?" she called out as we walked around the porch.

anna was folding laundry whe she noticed me and kie standing in front of her. she leaned down towards the laundry basket. "oh, thank god." she sighed of relief. anna shook her head and looked towards kie. "where have you been? we were up all night long. i was at a hospital."

kie pursed her lips and hesitated, choosing her words wisely. "we,, the truck broke down. then my phone died." she replied, looking down. "and we didn't have a plug."

anna looked at me to confirm and i put my hands up in surrender, letting her know i wasn't there. which was probably a shitty thing to do, but i was literally on a boat. anna had tears in her eyes, laughing quietly. "well, of course. that makes perfect sense." anna sighed.

kie pushed me forward and smiled softly. "they're back." she said. anna came close to me and smiled, pulling me into a quick hug. "i didn't tell her about anything yet."

anna put her hand up to stop kie. "that's something else to discuss later with her." she whispered.

i furrowed my brows. kie rolled her eyes and anna stepped back, glancing at her. i looked to kie with a confused look and she shrugged while her mom sat down and shook her head. "yeah, i heard that. i heard that on the news." she looked up to kie. "i heard john b's arrested for murder."

"mrs. carrera." i said as she looked to me. "he didn't do anything."

"spencer's right, mom." kie added. "we promise. someone's framing him." kie's mom scoffed a little and held her forehead. "and he's gonna need money, for a good lawyer."

anna brought her hand to her lips and sighed again. "i cant do this with you." she looked right at kie.

kie looked up and looked back at her mom while i stood awkwardly on the side. "mom, this is really important." she urged.

"you didn't even call me." anna muttered.

"john b's been arrested for murder." kie said a little aggressive. "i mean, do you understand that? its not all about you."

i exhaled deeply, scratching the back of my neck. before anna spoke i stood in front of kie. "may i use the restroom?" i asked.

anna nodded and i quickly walked to the bathroom to wait out the argument. its always the safe place to escape anything. i locked the door and sighed, sliding down the wall. with the few minutes, i heard another voice join the argument.

i groaned and closed my eyes, trying to tune out and wait. i heard a thump and i immediately unlocked the door and walked out back to kie. i stopped for a moment as i heard my name.

"did you even tell spencer about us wanting to take her in?" anna shouted as kie looked down.

my lips parted slightly as i placed my head against the door frame, but stayed out of view. i watched kie shake her head. "n-no, i didn't get the chance." kie sighed as she looked over the porch towards something.

anna sighed in frustration. "well, we've decided and we signed the paperwork. so, you better tell your best friend soon." she replied. "now get out of my house!"

i breathed heavily as i snuck through the house, back to the front lawn where i saw kie's clothes scattered. i looked up to see kie storming down the stairs and grabbing her clothes. i looked up to anna and mike who looked pissed at kie. anna looked to me and sighed, walking away from us.

kie grabbed my arm and dragged me away from her house as her eyes were filled with tears. i didn't wanna bring up anything about what i just heard. anna and mike always cared about me and kiara. it was us against anything. they've taken me in a couple times when things got heated at the cameron household when everything was normal.

"i assume she doesn't wanna pay for a lawyer." i asked and kie shook her head.

we arrived back at the chateau and i saw sarah standing at the dock. i ran towards her and placed my hand on her back. "has wheezie answered?" i questioned.

she shook her head and looked down. "not yet." she replied quietly, looking out into the marsh. "i'm scared, spence. what if we can't save john b?"

i shook my head, placing my hand on her shoulder in reassurance. "hey, don't say that." i sighed. "we're gonna clear his name. i promise."

sarah nodded and looked towards the marsh. we stayed silent and she laid her head on my shoulder, her breathing got quicker as i noticed her trying to not cry. suddenly, i heard a ding from the phone is sarah's pocket. i grabbed it and noticed a text from wheezie.

i smiled and so did sarah. she asked to meet at deachs point at 10pm. i replied with a thumbs up as i squealed.