midsummers: two

after jj left, i walked downstairs into the kitchen and sat next to sarah. she greeted me and started showing pictures of her and john b on the ferry. we were laughing as wheezie walked into the kitchen. i saw her in her midsummers dressed and she looked amazing. "you guys aren't dressed?" wheezie asked, looking at us funny.

sarah shook her head and answered for us. "we aren't going." she said sassily.

wheezie raised an eyebrow and looked between the two of us. "i mean, its midsummers." she looked to me. "you've been talking about midsummers since last year." then she looked to sarah. "and you have a date remember?"

i rolled my eyes, shaking my head. "i think we remember, wheezie." i replied, looking back at sarah who nodded in agreement. "we're not going and that's final."

as soon as i said that, rose walked in. "they said they're not going." wheezie groaned. i smacked my forehead with my palm and sighed.

rose grabbed a glass of wine and turned to us. "the hell you guys aren't." she said taking a sip. "your father is being coronated as guardian of knights of the rhododendron. you two are going."

i mumbled something to myself and knew sarah was gonna make a snarky comment back. she hates rose. "you're not our mother." she sneered. "we don't have to do what you tell us."

rose glared at sarah as i looked down at my feet, feeling defeated. "whatever." rose replied and our dad walked into the kitchen. "one of your twins spoke for the other. come on, spencer."

i sent a look towards sarah as i followed rose up to my room to get ready for midsummers. me and rose have a good relationship when we're not around sarah. sarah thinks i despise her, but she treats me like her own and it makes me happy since we don't have a mom here. rose grabbed my dress out of my closet and gave it to me to put on.

i undressed and slipped the dress on. it fitted me well, the top had embroidery of flowers and the bottom of my dress left a little train behind me as i walked. i looked in the mirror, my hair fell perfectly below my shoulders, down to my mid back, my freckles showed in the sunlight that was glaring onto my face. my eyes looked tired. i was tired, but what was not to love about myself?

rose put her hands on my shoulders, before turning and grabbing something from behind her. she placed a beautiful white flower crown on my head to match my dress. she smiled with tears in her eyes. "the daughter i never had." she whispered, kissing my cheek. i smiled. "i do love you, spencer. even if i'm not your real mom, you have the most special place in my heart."

i started to tear up. my whole life i've grown up without a mother figure, now i finally have one. "i love you too, rose." i sniffled. she laughed, wiping the tears that were falling down my face.

she grabbed my hands and looked into my eyes. "now, let's go see the most beautiful girls walk down those stairs at the country club." she smiled.

we arrived at the country club sooner than i thought.

me and sarah interlinked arms and walked next to dad and rose. i looked over to see kie and her friend pope watching us from afar and i sighed. can we just get along for one night? i rolled my eyes, shrugging it off. i saw topper start storming over here and groaned. "hey. hey, sarah. hey. i waited on you." he said laughing awkwardly. "you said you wanted to walk in together."

sarah rolled her eyes and i glared at topper. "well, i came with my parents and twin." he replied sassily. topper scoffed and dragged her away from me and i was alone.

i sighed to myself and enjoyed the time i got alone.