8

"Well, it's official, Kokabiela loves cranberries!" Eden declared with pride as she wiped her daughter's face with a handkerchief. The toddler's face was streaked with red juice from shoving several berries in her mouth at once.

Aziraphale beamed as he watched his family proudly. Gallifrey and Mercury were running back and forth from bush to bush filling the baskets with berries at record speed. The brother and sister had made it into a competition and despite Mercury being in the lead by at least three baskets, the children were clearly enjoying themselves. 

Meanwhile, Gabriel was crawling alongside the twins on the picnic blanket smiling with pride at their progress. Terri was nearly impossible to keep up with now while Neil, as usual, veered off course towards his mother. Eden had moved about a foot or so away so she could help Kokabiela try her first cranberry. 

No one was really surprised by Koko's reaction which made everyone laugh and Crowley snapped a few pictures with his cellphone while Gabriel crawled after Neil, not wanting him to get too close to a prickly bush.

Aziraphale took in the sight of his daughter’s battle scarred face and arm. The angel couldn't help but feel a pang of sadness…..but he snapped out of it when he felt Crowley squeeze his hand. He had nearly forgotten that his husband was even holding his hand. They did it so frequently….

"Come on angel!" Crowley said excitedly. "Mercury is winning! We gotta fill our baskets if we want a chance to have the first bite of your cranberry sauce samples!" He could tell by Crowley’s expression that he was trying to distract him from the unpleasant memories. 

"Quite right dear boy. We best get on!"

"Ma! Ma!" Eden turned and saw Neil crawling towards her and she felt her heart melt. "Aw, my little cuddle bug! Come here, love I've got you." As Eden knelt down to scoop up her youngest son, she met the tender gaze of Gabriel. 

"Hi." Eden smiled brightly. "I believe this is yours?" Eden pointed to the brown haired baby who was already snuggled against his mother's bosom. the Archangel's heart melted at Neil's serpentine eyes as they gleamed in the sunlight. The left eye was dark purple, like his eyes and the other was blue, which he obviously got from his mother. His youngest son's narrow pupils were taking in every detail around them.

"He's in good hands now." Gabriel rumbled in reply. "I just wanted to make sure that he was returned to his mother safely." Gabriel lost himself in Eden's smiling face and radiant serpentine eyes. As always they were a stunning blue….today they reminded him of the sky. Clear and defiantly keeping any sign of a gray cloud away.

Gabriel felt something bump into his arm. He glanced down and met the blue serpentine gaze of Terri. The little redhead didn't like it when her father wasn't watching her. "Hey there jellybean." Gabriel smiled as he pushed himself to his knees then shifted so he was sitting on the soft green grass. Terri instantly crawled into his lap and was immediately comfortable.

Seeing this, Kokabiela dashed over and joined her little sister in their father's lap.

"Oh." Eden said as Neil suddenly reached out his precious little hands towards his Daddy. "I think he wants to come to you now." 

Gabriel smiled. "You know I can't say no to that sweet little face." As Eden started to pass Neil over to her husband, Gallifrey called, "Mummy, come join us!" 

"Yes, Eden, come join us!" Aziraphale called. "Mercury is still in the lead!" 

"Coming Papa!" Eden called back. She then turned back to Gabriel, "You four coming?"

Gabriel had just reached out to take Neil from Eden. "We'll be along shortly." 

"Aw, you big softie, now I want some cuddles-ACK!" A sudden sharp pain struck Eden in the side. It was so unexpected that she nearly dropped Neil but Gabriel caught him just in time. "Eden!" But he couldn't stop his wife from falling onto the ground.

At Eden's cry, Aziraphale dropped his nearly full basket. Crowley meanwhile instantly let go of Aziraphale's hand and dashed to where his daughter lay.

"Queenie!" Crowley exclaimed as Gabriel clutched Neil to his chest. The Archangel was relieved to see that his youngest son wasn't injured but it had been a close call. If not for him Eden would have dropped him….

"Is Neil alright?" Aziraphale demanded as he dashed over. Neil was crying now, as if sensing everyone's distress. Gabriel nodded. "I caught him right on time." Gabriel forced his voice not to tremble. 

"Here, I'll see to him." Aziraphale gently lifted Neil from the Archangel's arms. 

Gabriel nodded his thanks as he rushed to Crowley and Eden. 

Crowley had helped Eden to sit up but to Gabriel’s dismay, her face was contorted with pain. "Where are you hurt?" 

"I-I'm fine." Eden rasped. "It's nothing-ACK!" Eden cried out unexpectedly and gripped her side. 

"Eden!" Gabriel and Crowley gasped. She hadn't been in that much pain since…..

"Is Mummy okay?"  Gallifrey asked, her voice tight with fear as she, Mercury and Kokabiela approached. 

"I'm sure she'll feel better once we get her inside." Aziraphale said, forcing himself to sound optimistic. "Come along children, let's gather up our baskets shall we?" As Aziraphale hurriedly led the children away, Crowley whispered, "Let's get you on your feet Queenie."

"O-Okay." Eden rasped as Crowley and Gabriel helped her to her feet. Gabriel instinctively reached out to wrap his arm around her waist, like he always did but he jumped when Eden yelped in pain.

"DON'T TOUCH!" Eden snapped. "That's where it hurts!" 

 "I'm sorry!" Gabriel gasped. "I was just trying to help-" Gabriel stopped when his foot bumped into something. The Archangel glanced down and saw a dark red cricket ball. 

Crowley, frustrated with Gabriel suddenly stopping gently ushered Eden forward. "Come on, love. Let's get you inside."

Gabriel bent down and picked up the ball. If it had been a little higher it could have hit little Neil….it was bad enough that it struck Eden and she was clearly hurt….

"Dad?" A soft, scared voice called out from behind a cranberry bush. "Have you seen my ball?" When Polaris emerged from the foliage he saw his father gazing at him with an unreadable expression on his face. 

"Oh, you found it." When his father didn't answer he awkwardly continued, "I heard someone scream….is everybody okay? I thought I'd come see-" Polaris stopped talking when Gabriel dropped the cricket ball onto the grass and replied, "You've already done enough."