17

"I'm sorry for what I said earlier, Polaris. There's no excuse for my behavior." Gabriel and Polaris were sitting on the porch steps, huddled underneath Gabriel's thick gray coat against the cold autumn wind. "I just panicked. I was so afraid that your Mum and Neil had been hurt....."

"Were you afraid that Mummy was going to die again?" Polaris asked softly. He knew the story well, of how his mother actually died. She had nearly died again nearly a year ago and it had been hard on everyone, especially when she hadn't been able to come home and had to stay at the bookshop. They all had stayed there for an entire month until it was deemed safe enough for Mummy to finally make the journey home. Polaris didn't even consider the possibility of losing his mother at the time. His Mum was a force of nature. Unstoppable. Always laughing and smiling. And according to all the stories he had heard, or at least the bits and pieces that he was allowed to hear, his Mummy was like a superhero just like his father and grandparents. Mummy wasn't going to die again because.....well because she just wouldn't. It was as simple as that.

"Y-Yes." Gabriel's voice trembled as his face fell. Polaris didn't like it when his father's face was heavy with sadness. Whenever he was with Mummy, his father was almost always happy and whenever he was sad, Mummy was never too far away to fix the problem. Even while she was in recovery she would never stop trying to make him smile. His Daddy would do the same for her on the rare occasion when she seemed sad.

Seeing his father like this now reminded him of those long nights of the previous year.

Polaris understood now. "You've been scared for a long time haven't you?"

Gabriel nodded, too emotional to say anything for a moment. "The thought of losing any of you, or any of you being hurt frightens me beyond words."

Tears stung the Archangel's eyes as Polaris wrapped his arms around him, hugging him tightly.

"I wish I could make it all go away." Gabriel continued. "Everything that's happened, including your mother's scars and her trauma. But I can't. I'm one of the most powerful beings in the universe but I can't erase the damage that has been done to us. It makes me feel so helpless and angry....but it doesn't excuse my actions today. I hope you can forgive me. I love you Polaris Centauri Archer." Gabriel rasped as he buried his face in his son's thick curly black hair. It was just like his mother's, soft and fluffy, the curls as wild and carefree as their bearer. "More than you'll ever know."

"I love you too Dad, and I forgive you."

"I'm especially sorry for frightening you." Gabriel rasped, recalling how wary Polaris had approached him moments before. He would never forgive himself for that.

"I don't ever want you to be afraid of me. Not ever. I will never talk to you like that ever again, I promise."

Gabriel  couldn’t help but feel relieved when Polaris hugged him tighter. "Okay Dad."

By the time Polaris and Gabriel returned to the dining room, supper had concluded and everyone was enjoying desert, Neopolitan Sundaes with whipped cream. Polaris saw that his dinner was still waiting for him along with his father's.

"Come finish your supper you two." Eden said. "It'll get cold if you don't."

"Are you okay Mummy?"

"I'm okay darling, come sit with me."

"Are you okay my shining star?" Eden asked as Polaris climbed onto her lap. Polaris nodded. "Dad and I talked and everything is fine." Eden wrapped her arms around her son. "I'm happy to hear that. Now, let's talk about that sick throwing arm of yours.....Daddy, let's talk about your grandson's cricket skills!"

Polaris beamed as Grandpa Crowley turned to face him smiling from ear to ear as Gabriel pushed his son's plate within reach, looking like he was going to burst with pride.