Chapter 2

"Can I ask you something, Alexander?"

"If I said no, would that stop you?"

"No, not really."

"Carry on then." He let out and she knew that he would rather be anywhere else other than being stuck with her.

"You're not going to ask? I don't have all day."

Julia snapped out of her thoughts, "Apologies, I wanted to ask why you agreed to marry me?"

"It's for the business so that we can merge with your company, as we have the resources to save your business. Then for the marriage, as you know that my father owes my so-called father-in-law." He let out bitterly.

"Oh, so did you tell him that you did not want to get married?"

"As if that would change anything when my father is dead set on something he gets it, no matter how huge a sacrifice I have to pay.

Julia could hear the resentment in his voice as he spat out the words, "Sorry."

"You don't have to be sorry, this marriage means nothing, as long as we play our parts of being together and the investors know that we're getting along, then there should not be a problem."

"Makes sense."

"So why could you not have done it, Julia?"

"Done what?"

"Called off the wedding."

"The same reasoning that you have."

"What did I expect? Of course, you would say that."

"Huh, not you scoffing at me when you're the same too."

Alexander turned to her slowly, "What the fuck did you say to me?"

His tone made her shrink back, "I was just trying to be reasonable."

"Reasonable as in what Julia?"

"This is what you call being fucken reasonable."

"As if you're too."

"I'm the one that is losing a lot for you."

Julia knew that he was simmering underneath, and did not want to escalate the situation, "I get it, you're right."

He turned back to what he was doing, then he got up and left without saying a word to her, not even sparing her a glance.

She sighed, even though he called her name so harshly, she enjoyed hearing it but now wondered what would be next.

Supper time came and went to the dining room, dinner was served, there was so much food, and she was alone, without anyone.

After eating and feeling full, Julia went into the bedroom, changed, and climbed into the bed, her body welcomed the comfort that she felt.

There was so much in her mind and did not know how to process so many things that were happening.

Would she be always alone like this? Eating alone, with no one to truly talk to, she could not even tell her parents or siblings what was going on.

She did not want them to be worried about her and stress them out, her dad counted on her to not mess this up.

Julia had not wanted to disappoint him, so giving up her comfort for the sake of their family and faking through it all was more than fine.

Yet she wondered how long would she have to fake for. Years? Would she even be allowed to get divorced?

She sighed heavily, there was too much for her to take in, what had she expected? She had thought it would be fine but it never occurred to her that the man that she married hated her so much that he couldn't stand the sight of her.

He would want to be anywhere else other than to be with her and did not know if it was better if he was there to keep her fake company or if he was gone. There was lonely peace that felt hollow.

She couldn't befriend any of the workers as everything had to be kept private, so now she lay here restless.

There was no win situation for her at all, maybe she would make some friends somewhere else.

Her head hurt and closed her eyes, sleep would be the best medicine for her right now in the state of mind that she was in.

Julia closed her eyes and waited for sleep to catch up with her, yet it was hard for her to fall asleep as she was tossing and turning.