Cinnamon Nights

that night, Taehyun struggled to fall asleep, which was weird. weird because Taehyun is one of those people who tend to doze off as soon as their head touches the pillow. between being a paralegal, striving to be a good attorney, to being someone whose naturally tired all of the time, falling asleep was never a difficult task. 

But it is today, out of all days.

he glances at the clock on his night stand, reading 1:32AM. 

"damn it..." he mutters, rolling in his bed in an attempt to find a comfortable position, but the pillow's too squishy, the bed's too bumpy. his clothes don't really fit right and he can't decide whether he's too cold or too hot. his oversized shirt gets stuck in the bedsheets as he turns and clings onto his upper body in a way that makes his toes curl in discomfort. his whole body jumps out of bed as a sigh of protest.

"damn it!" he yells in frustration, jumping up and down to loosen the shirt and he gives the clock a sassy side eye.

"hmm!" he hums in a grumbly voice and stomps out of his bedroom. "sure! why not?!... let's have insomnia right before meeting with the client..." he hisses sarcastically, having enough after a long battle of forcing himself to sleep.

he opens the fridge, cringing when the cold air lands on him. coming to the conclusion that getting out of bed in this cold weather without proper clothing was not his best idea. he debates for a second or two if he should bring a blanket to cover him and later returns to the kitchen with a bundle of gray soft fabric and wraps it over himself, smiling in content when it gives him the warmth he needs.

after a lot of though, and a quick google search on ways to fall asleep, he pulls out a bottle of milk, honey and....

"where's the cinnamon?!.." he yells quietly, directing the question mostly at him since he lives alone and nobody else could've messes with his well kept, neat and overly organized shelfs. he furrows his eyebrows, biting his lips in slight distress when the one good idea he had, like everything else that day, did not seem to work out for him.

maybe he should get back into bed, maybe he's just nervous for tomorrow, when he honestly shouldn't be. he prepared a lot for said upcoming meeting. he's just..... worried. worried about saying the wrong thing.

...............

"look at you, awww you're so pretty.." Kai's hand carded through the white, fluffy cat's fur, enjoying it's softness while checking for a collar or any indications that the cat might have an owner, but it seems like the pretty cat was a street one like him.

the cat purred in response to his gentle petting and snuggled closer in his lap. 

"Are you hungry?" He asked, crouching down and meeting the cat's big eyes.

Kai fished a few coins out of his pocket, counting them carefully. There was just enough for a box of strawberry milk.

he saved that money to buy himself breakfast in the morning, but how can he turn down a hungry kitten?

"Wait out here fluff ball" he says to cat, giving it one more hearty pat before jogging to the nearest 24/7 convenience store. the streets were semi empty, with still a few more people heading home from a party or possibly the casual drink.

Kai stepped inside of the small store, involuntarily relaxing in the warmth of it's heater.

"hey, where do I find the cinnamon?" he heard a man in a set of sweat wear and a big puffer jacket ask the cashier. 

Kai raised a curious eyebrow, trying to peak behind the shelf he was near to see the man's face. his voice was familiar, and Kai was sure he had heard it before. tone slightly harsh, but sweetness laid underneath it, and for some reason, it made the younger feel a bit better.