Still With You

"you want me to quit my job?" Taehyun recapped. eyebrows furrowing at Kai. "and what? throw away everything I worked for? to do what exactly?!" he raises his voice, not a trace of the earlier guilt left in him upon hearing Kai's request.

"calm down.." Kai speaks softly. his voice contrasting Taehyun's harsh tone.

the elder huffs, rolling his eyes in both disbelief and annoyance.

not only did Kai drop this bomb on him not even an hour after he woke up. but he also tells him to "calm down"?. this is not just Taehyun's living wage Kai's messing with. it's his entire life, his world, his career.

everything he had known.

how dare he come in and ask him to give it all away as if it was nothing?

The door opens before Kai can say anything in return. And a doctor, around his late 30s in greenish blue uniform and a white coat walks in.

He gives Kai a little nod, approaching with a warm, kind smile and ruffles the younger's hair.

"Nurse Kim told me she saw you in the reception, I didn't believe her until now. We missed you..." he says in pleasant surprise.

Kai giggles, smiling brightly.

"I missed you too Dr. Jung, I wish we could've met under different circumstances." He refers to Taehyun's condition.

The young man on the hospital bed looks at the unexpected interaction with questioning, curious eyes. Although he is overwhelmed by their conversation earlier, he can't help but let that go for a second, in favor of wondering what Kai has to do with the strange doctor in front of him.

Doctor. Jung turns his attention to Taehyun, noticing the confusion look In his eyes.

"Ah.." the doctor laughs, lighthearted. "Our Kai volunteered here for a few years back when he was... what?" He looks at Kai.

"17..18 I guess" the younger replies.

The doctor nods.

"About 3 years. And after that, we never saw the little guy again" he pinches Kai's cheek.

Taehyun hums, heart aching even harder when he further realizes what type of a person Kai really is. And how unbelievably evil is was for him to hurt the younger the way he did.

Kai deserves better than him.

The doctor clears his throat, remembering what he came here for.

"So.." he opens Taehyun's medical file, and changes the subject quickly after noting the slight tension coming from his patient.

"How are you feeling?"

"Dizzy..." Taehyun replies. "I'm sorry Sir. No one told me what I have yet, would you mind.."

The doctor eyes light.

"Ah yes!" He exclaims. "How could I forget."

Taehyun forces out a smile. And waits patiently for an explanation.

.............

It's been about half an hour since the doctor has left, and Taehyun got the good news that he is in fact, not dying.

And that the treatment is simple, so he should be good in a few weeks. The only problem being that he can't sleep in his house until it is fully aired out and free of any toxicins.

But rest assured, Yeonjun will jump over the chance to host anyone in his house, especially if it's his beloved old college friend.

What bothers him now, is the unusual suffocating silence that filles the room.