World Of Madness

were the steps always so steep? 

Taehyun doesn't remember the flight of stairs being so long before...

maybe they've did renditions on this part of the building..?

why hasn't he taken the elevator? there must've been a reason. but he can't quite remember what it was.

there he was, spending eternity on each and every step. trying to recall what is it that he wanted to do on the higher up floors in the first place.

something to do with the case. and Mr. Kim.... 

he grips on the railing for dear god, dragging his legs like they weigh a ton. is he even going up? in his eyes no one could tell. dazed and unfocused, the world in front of him turns and swims with no end. 

Taehyun looks up from his slouched position. eyes no longer nailed to his shoes but instead staring off to the many, many stairs left. his body sways side to side, and he falls to his knees as to not fall backwards.

just a little bit

the stairs double in quantity, then shift in color, dancing inside of Taehyun's delirious mind. different colors and shapes join them, jumping up and down, disrupting his vision.

"huh.." a confused, slurred mumble comes from the young paralegal when the distance between him and the floor he longs to get to grows longer, then comes closer. the motion stirs in Taehyun's head, providing a not so pleasant nausea.

suddenly, the silence cuts with a phone ringtone. his phone ringtone.

"H-hello.." he call pathetically to the air, not even bothering to open his, now shut eyes. simply muttering the word in hopes for the ring to stop. 

but as expected, it goes on, louder this time. 

his hands are all over his body, trying to find the source of the noise, only to realize... it's not coming from outside.

it's in his head. ringing endlessly.

his body lowers just a little more towards the step he's currently on, and without being able to resist, he ends up laying there with no power to continue.

"Hello.. Hello...." he keeps on whimpering, tears building in his eyes. he's answering, why doesn't the ringing stop?

the sound invades his ears, drilling them from inside until all Taehyun can think about is the ringing.

his hands leave the railing, still tense from gripping too tight. he covers his ears. hands trembling and sore.

he presses, and presses. but to his demise, it doesn't soften the noise. only makes him feel more helpless than he already is.

him. helpless.

that's a combination of words Taehyun never though would find themselves in the same sentence. 

but after all,

they were right. they were all right. about everything.

his co-workers, classmates. college friends, family. everyone in his life...

he was cocky, and arrogant. to think he could handle working with a real lawyer. he was condescending and overachieving. he wasn't smart. or hardworking. wasn't good as them.

he's a fraud.

.......................

"care to explain what we're doing in the front of Taehyun's apartment instead of the hospital, getting you a cast?"