Kindness Kills

The water is cold on his face. Ice cold drops dripping from his chin into the Sink. He closes his eyes, head slumping forward.

Kai exhales. Hand reaching to turn off the faucet.

"How do you know the defendant?"

"We used to be business partners." the gray-haired man responds.

"How would you describe HanJun-Shii?"

"a good friend, and a considerate partner. He helped me when I was jobless. A man to look up to, really."

A man to look up to...

A man to admire.

Kai shakes his head, shutting his eyes together.

"What is your relationship with the defendant?

"HanJun is very kind."

"HanJun is a good old friend of mine. We were roommates in college."

"he's reliable."

"HanJun would never do such a thing. He's very gentle."

"This is character defamation. Our HanJun is innocent."

Liars.

Liars.

Lying is wrong. Bad.

Why are they defending him?

What did he give them?

He opens the faucet again. Washing his hands. Scrubbing them with soap almost obsessively. His legs are shaking. Anger bubbling on the top of his lungs.

Wrong. This is all wrong.

They're not just bending the truth. They're lying in court. In front of a judge, an actual judge.

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

The door to the bathroom opens. And Kai looks up. Realizing he had been there, in front of the sink for longer than he had noticed.

He bows his head to the guy walking in. The other is doing the same. He has a black cap on, and a mask on his face. He stands beside Kai, washing his hands as well.

"Would you pass me the paper?" His voice is low and hoarse. His eyes are sharp and dark when he looks at Kai.

Kai looks to his side, tearing a couple of hand papers towels from the stand and passing it to the man.

"Thanks."

He dries his hands, and Kai keeps standing next to the mirror when something shiny catches his attention. He glances at the guy's pocket, noticing something sharp peeking. He distances himself from the sink, turning his heels to leave. There's movement behind him.

Kai quickly turns back to face the guy.

"Your tattoos are sick." he speaks.

The guy has his hand in his pocket, gripping something. He looks like he was genuinely caught off guard by Kai's comment. His eyes are wide, he takes a few steps back, cautious.

"I have one myself, hurt like hell." Kai laughs. "I wouldn't be able to handle a sleeve, but I do want another one. Where have you done yours?" He talks like the guy is his close friend from the tone he wears. Light and welcoming.

"You have a tattoo?" The guy still looks slightly shocked. Not having expected Kai to start a conversation.

Kai nods, smiling brightly. "On my back."