Ringing The Bells

"can my bar get a break?.. I'm not asking for much." 

"it's not that-" Beomgyu scrunches his noise when he gets close to the counter, walking into the aromatic cloud of alcohol. "bad." he picks up a bloody tissue that somehow managed to escape Kai sight and avoid the fate of being thrown into the garbage.

"it's not very good either." Yeonjun leans on his hands on one of the tables, closing his eyes for a moment to process the loss of the many bottles he had so meticulously picked out and collected for the last 5 years. 

"could've been worse." Beomgyu clicks his tongue. "at least windows' got fixed, I call that a win." 

once Beomgyu said those words, Yeonjun opened his eyes and looked in surprise over the, apparently fixed windows and sure enough, each and every one was fully covered in clear and what is seems like, thick palates of glass. 

Yeonjun's forehead creases, and he tilts his head in both confusion and relief.

"elves?" he offers an explanation. 

Beomgyu throws his head back, laughing obnoxiously like Yeonjun is used to him so casually doing before stifling the noise when he sees the elder's distasteful glance at him. 

"sure, Hyung. let's say elves did it.." 

"it was Kai wasn't it?" Yeonjun looks at the detailed work on the windowsill, the accuracy and quality of the way the panels were place and nailed into the wall. it has Kai written all over it. the younger never half-asses anything once he sets his mind to something.

"yeah, Taehyun called the other day." Beomgyu reveals. "I gave them the measurements for the glass."

"you little shit- I was worried as hell trying to figure out how to pay for the repair. you couldn't tell me that before?" Yeonjun breathed loudly from his nose to express his frustration. in matter of seconds, the relief of not having to worry about those god dammed windows overcomes the slight urge he has to punch his trusty yet menace of a person co-worker.

the very amused, said co worker picks up a mop, and starts cleaning the muddied footsteps along the bar from the doorway. with him, Yeonjun thanks Kai in his heart for the work he has done, and too begins to once again clean the mess that his poor place suffered from.

"heard from the two since last night?" Yeonjun asks after a while of getting in the rhythm of dusting, wiping, cleaning and putting everything back the way it supposed to be. and eventually, the bar starts to regain its original shape. 

Beomgyu shrugs his shoulders.

"nothing."

"the trial's in two days." Yeonjun sighs. "I can't help but feel bad for them.. Taehyun is doing the best he can, running around meetings with witnesses, trying to scrape each and every piece of useful information he can."

"are you worried?" Beomgyu stops swiping. running his hand through his overgrown hair, his dark bangs reaching his chin. he puts his strands into a hairband, looking indifferent as he listens to Yeonjun's concerns.

"would Taehyun try so hard if they had a real shot?" Yeonjun makes a good point. "it feels like they're just trying whatever can help, because they have no other options."

to that Beomgyu has nothing to say, so he lets the question hang in the air as they're both thinking whether this whole thing is even worth it.

he sweeps in silence while Yeonjun checks the windows, learning the new opening mechanics. 

"Ya, Beom-ah." he calls. 

"what?" Beomgyu replies with a bored tone, not bothering looking up.

Yeonjun grimaces.