This Is No Home

"What are you doing here?.." Taehyun mumbles. Rubbing his eyes to make sure he sees properly.

It's true, in front of him, the young boy surrounded by dirty pans, mountains of flour and chocolate syrup.

"To make pancakes!" Kai smiles. "I used your ingredients... I hope you don't mind. I'm, not exactly a chef or anything, but I thought you might-"

"You're burning the batter" Taehyun deadpans when the smoky smell reaches his nose.

Flour falls from Kai's soft curls when he turns over to the pan, eyes wide when he realizes he just ruined the third pancake of the morning.

"That one will be mine, sorry"

"What are you playing at, Kai?" Taehyun asks when the younger flashes an apologetic smile at him and plates the brown pancake on his plate.

"What do you mean...?" Kai licks the syrup from his finger, his golden eyes staring at Taehyun, shining under the dimmed kitchen lights.

The elder crosses his hands on his chest, ignoring the slight attraction he has for Kai and putting it in the back of his mind.

"I've never thrown myself at anyone, Kai. Ever, in my life. I've never asked for anything, I've never begged. I did everything alone..."

It's silent. Just the pan buttering the pancakes slowly, and Taehyun's short breath are heard in the kitchen.

"But a few days ago, I asked you to stay, Kai. And you told it would be a bad idea...." Taehyun voice gets quieter and quieter, until it breaks at the end of the sentence. The elder's clearly still hurt by Kai's cold rejection just a week ago.

Kai turns down the heat, smile slowly dropping until he's left with a hopeful expression. Not necessarily a sad one, but one that is foreign to Taehyun, who is used to Kai's bright face.

"Has anyone ever told you how pretty you are, Big shot?" The younger says, breaking into a mischievous smile. Looking away from the cooled down pan to the elder eyes that flash with slight shyness.

Taehyun shallows his shock, determined to finish the conversation in his own terms.

"You're even prettier like that..." Kai speaks low. Approaching the older who is just a few steps away.

"With that blush on your cheeks"

"Don't sweet talk me please.." Taehyun quickly retaliates.

Kai laughs, touching Taehyun cheek with his flour stained hands. He smears the white powder on the elder's nose, watching as Taehyun scrunches it while he does so.

"Looks like it's working...?.." the younger half asks half says while he smiles a cheeky smile. "How did you sleep?"

Taehyun lets his head fall on Kai's shoulder, closing his eyes for a short period of time, just enjoying the feeling of being in Kai's hold.

"I want to know, Kai... what changed?" Taehyun asks, and suddenly, the headache finds his way back to him, and he whimpers into Kai's shirt.

"Hey.." Kai looks down in alarm. "Are you okay?"

"Wait a minute..." Taehyun's words slur together while the pain only gets stronger.

"I got you.." Kai says when he feels Taehyun slowly begin to crumble to the floor.

The elder mutters something under his breath that Kai cannot seem to hear well.

"Hmm?"

"Bathroom.." Taehyun whispers with much struggle.