Unexpected Company

"well, yes. I wanted to inform you, Mr.Huening is downstairs and would like to see you,

may I bring him in?"

"excuse me?"

an awkward cough is heard over the line, and Taehyun takes the moment of silence to look over the room Kai's in. he squints his eyes, the gears in his head spinning fast.

"a Mr.Huening, Kang-Shii." another voice answers and Taehyun identifies it as the secretary that greets him each time he passes by on his way to the elevators. 

"Huening Kai is right here.." Taehyun answers in a voice both confused and suspecting. what if someone is pretending to be Kai to penetrate their way past the buildings security. if so, what is their plan once they succeed?

a quiet, muffled choir of voices cuts through Taehyun's thoughts and after a couple seconds the secretary speaks again. her voice clearer this time.

"Mr.Huening, Kai's dad is here to see him. please confirm if okay to let him in." 

at that moment, before Taehyun can even process her words. Kai walks out of the room, small towel in his hand, drying his light brown hair that now looks darker due to be soaked in water. he yawns as he walks towards the kitchen.

"Sir?.. Sir? can you hear me?"

"Y-yes." Taehyun brings his hand up to card through his hair, then to the side of his head, massaging his temples in a stressed manner.

Kai looks past the wall between the kitchen looking over the living room. he holds a glass filled to the brin with chilled water, drinking half of it in one gulp. in the corner of his eyes, he sees Taehyun's body language, wondering who and what the caller said that made Taehyun this uneasy.

"is everything okay?"

Taehyun's head snaps to the side, his eyes wide open like a deer caught in headlights. 

"Taehyun..?"

not sure what to say, Taehyun blabbers out something similar to "I think we need to go downstairs."

Kai's eyes narrow slightly, but he says nothing, only nodding before putting the glass back on the counter. he walks to the front of the door, slipping in one of the 2 pairs of slippers lying neatly near the entrance. 

Taehyun clears his throat.

"we'll be right there." he says, hanging the call without giving the secretary a chance to respond. 

he too, drags his feet to where Kai now waits. slipping into his comfortable house slippers and opening the door with a strange feeling inside.

Kai doesn't ask why they're going downstairs again after just having come back from a very long night. He doesn't question Taehyun neither argues that he's too tired for any other adventures.

Instead, he gives Taehyun a little smile when they enter the elevator. Reaching to hold the elder's hand and gives Taehyun a light forehead kiss that complies well with their height difference.

Taehyun returns that act of affection with a nervous smile of his own and a deep breath.

The doors open with a "Ding!" And Taehyun makes a hesitant step outside while Kai moves forward with a lot more clarity and confidence.

The whole 10 steps from the elevator to the front desk of the building, Taehyun chews on his bottom lip, nervous. Not sure who they will come intact with once they arrive.

Kai's step dad's in custody.

Kai's biological dad is not supposed to be in Korea.

there are a lot of things that are not suppose to be happening in their story. just because it's not suppose to happen, does not mean it's not going to.