Like A Glove

"I'm sorry to interrupt you Sir. do you mind telling me the time?" Kai stops a rather elderly looking gentleman wearing a blue scarf and a long puffer jacket. hopes that he's not in a rush.

the elderly looks at him strangely, eyes squinting in confusion. wondering why a young person like him does not have a phone or a watch of his own. 

"five fifty six." he kindly complies regardless of the wonderment.

"thank you." Kai smiles, sending the man off to enjoy the rest of his day. 

he parks the bike in front of Blue-Law, just as he did in the morning, this time to pick Taehyun up. dinner's in the over, low heat, his favorite stew recipe, taken from his dad's side and fusioned with how his mom used to make it.

will it be for Taehyun's taste? he hopes..

he waits comfortably on the bike, standing while leaning on it's seat facing the entrance of the institution. his hands crossed on his chest, he closes his eyes for a few seconds, taking 3 deep breathes. 

the winter air is so clean, refreshing. he shivers. once again brushing his tongue against the his cut lip, reminding himself to put on some ointment before going to bed.

should he move closer to the building? he realizes he stands at the very opposite side walk from the entrance, watching it from a far.

he does decide to ditch the bike and walk across the side walk to the other side but looking ahead, he already sees Taehyun walking towards him.

a bright smile spreads on his face, until he sees Taehyun's pale one. no time is wasted, he moves ahead towards him, meeting right in the end of the side walk.

"hey.." his hands immediately shoot up to Taehyun's red cheeks. holding him carefully. "you're warm." Kai notices the abnormal heat of Taehyun's skin. "are you sick..? should we buy cold medicine on the way home?" 

Kai's open show of care for him only makes his eyes water when he's trying his best not to cry. he fights the urge to look Kai in the eyes, because he knows the other will understand once they lock eyes.

"are you upset? it's okay.." Kai reassured gently. "you don't have to talk." 

what will he do without him? without the golden boy by his side. it doesn't make since, that he lived his entire life away from Kai, now he can't imagine even separating from him.

"what about a hug?" he offers, looking at Taehyun like they're the only ones standing in the middle of the street.

Taehyun latches on Kai like a koala at that. 

Kai laughs.

"hugging it is." he jokes, holding Taehyun's frame closely, feeling him tremble from the cold. "I'm sorry you had such a bad day. I'm sure it wasn't easy... still, I'm proud of you." 

the few sentences of acknowledgment touch Taehyun in ways he can't quite explain. whether it was his family, his college professors or his old workplace. he would drag himself through the mud, the hard work, the struggles and many cold, lonely nights to get nothing but harsh criticism. 

it's nice when someone sees you, for a change.

"it's okay.." Kai pets Taehyun's back when the elder's shoulders start to shake up and down. Taehyun tears staining his shirt. "I'm really sorry, Big Shot. or should i say Big Snot?... okay, I'm sorry, I'm sorry." he laughs when Taehyun pulls away and hits his chest. Kai rises his hands up as to say he surrenders.

"v-very funny." Taehyun sniffles. wiping his tears while glaring at Kai. hoping playfully.

"I will always have bad jokes for you."