The Clown's Plan

"The so-called Clown Prince of Crime was apprehended by Batman and Robin only hours ago at this very fairground. The Joker kidnapped the Mayor as well as several high-ranking Government officials. Thanks to the vigilante duo's efforts all of the hostages lived, however District Attorney Harvey Dent has been rushed to the hospital following a severe injury, we reached out to Gotham General Hospital for a comment on his condition but-"

The sound of the news broadcast stopped echoing around the batcave as Bruce sat back in his chair, sighing deeply.

A few feet behind him sat Y/n on a medical gurney as Alfred attended to a few minor wounds, his domino mask thrown onto a nearby table.

Removing his cowl, Bruce stood and began pacing back and forth, glancing over at his sidekick.

After finishing up with Robin's wounds, Alfred looked over at Bruce before squinting slightly and sighing himself.

"I'll go fetch some tea."

The moment Alfred had left, Bruce stepped towards the boy resting on the gurney.

"You went too far." Bruce began, his voice filled with frustration.

"I did what was necessary."

The two stared into each others eyes, neither showing any sign of backing down.

"You cracked his skull! Any harder and you could've killed him."

"If I didn't immobilise him the Mayor would have a knife in her throat, so you're welcome."

Y/n got up and moved to walk away but Bruce stepped in his way.

"And what if you'd killed him?"

"Well I doubt he'd be missed." Y/n bluntly stated.

The next sounds that filled the batcave was Bruce's fist colliding with Y/n's cheek and the protégé hitting the metal floor.

"That is NOT the point, Y/n!"

Y/n sat up and looked upwards at his adoptive father.

"If you kill a killer then the amount of killers stays the same."

"Then kill two killers."

Batman grabbed the Robin suit and lifted his son off the floor, glaring down at him.

"How many innocent people die while you agonise over the well-being of mass murderers?" Y/n quietly asked, his voice full of disgust.

"If you really gave a damn about defending Gotham's people, you'd kill the criminals who target the innocent, not protect them."

Y/n was expecting another punch, a kick or maybe being thrown but instead, Bruce placed him down before kneeling and placing his hand on his son's shoulder.

"I see, let me explain."

He removed his hand before looking into his son's eyes.

"I think about killing them every time I stop them."

Bruce looked at his hands.

"It would be so easy to just..."

He clenched his fists tightly.

"...end them."

"Then why don't you? Ending them would guarantee Gotham's safety."

"Because, its a matter of being better then them...criminals kill because its easy for them to do, almost cowardly, by refusing it and being better then it, it shows the people of Gotham that they can stand above the criminals who would seek to harm them."