Ark 3 - trouble

When Shu Ning next woke up the world outside was drenched into deep darkness. Only a slight stripe of orange light indicated the rise of a new day. Shi Yong was still asleep on his lap and the youth beside him had at some point succumbed to slumper as well. There was complete silence inside of the car except for the even breathing of  it's occupants as only the driver and Zhao Yang had stayed awake this entire time and both seemed comfortable in the quiet.

"You awoke just in time. We are about to reach our destination."

The Man who had until now steadily watched the world outside of the window now turned to look at Shu Ning. A small smile curved up the corners of his lips as his gaze dropped to the resting child before returning his attention to the other again.

"Hm. Thank you."

Shu Ning lifted the hand that was not currently keeping Shi Yong from toppling over and rubbed it over his eyes to chase away the last traces of drowsiness. It was then that he noticed the gray walls of the Base appearing on the horizon and a wave of relief washed over him. He might not like the idea of staying inside of a safe Base but with the small child now plastered to his body there was really no other choice. So at least for a while he decided to remain here.

The car came to a stop right next to the same listless guard Shu Ning had already met and the driver showed the guy a small metal ring he was wearing. That at least seemed to invoce some sort of reaction from the man as he quickly pulled out a comunication device and waved the vehicle through the gates before the line could even connect.

"Is there a special meaning to the ring. I have not yet seen the guard react so excitedly to anything."

"Yes. It gives us complete clearance inside of the Base."

It was the first time the driver had aknowledged his own presence inside of this car and Shu Ning was a little surprised at that. Still, he leaned forward inside of his seat as much as he could to show the guy that he was listening. The other continued to stay silent though and just when he was about to inquire some more another voice piped up from beside him. At some point Nian Zhen must have awoken as well.

"There are only three rings distributed in total and all three are inside of this car. You understand? The chief gave them to the people he trusts the most, giving them acces to praktically every part of the Safe Base. These small bands are a real honor to posses. They also make it possible to skip the whole isolation thing after a mission outside of the wall."

Just as Nian Zhen had said the car drove past the isolation camp unobstructed and moving through the less crowded areas of the city untill they reached the doors of a white building. It was wider than any of the other houses of the town and more guarded as well as at least four people in military uniforms were positioned about the area. 

Warily Shu Ning glanced in their direction when he stepped out onto the pavement. Shi Yong was now standing at his side, still obviously tired and tightly gripping the fabric of his trousers. The guards were not looking in their direction though and none of them were moving to intercept their path either so he allowed himself to relax slightly and gently placed a hand on the child's back. Derwhile Zhao Yang had already opened the door of the building, waiting untill the two of them had passed through the entrance before letting it drop close behind them.

Shu Ning looked around the empty hallway they had entered and questiongly looked at the man at his side but Zhao Yang just gestured infront of him and started walking again. With a frown he followed behind, passing by a few other people who hurried about and ascended a flight of stairs where his silent companion knocked on an unasuming white door.

Zhao Yang pushed inside without even giving the occupant any time to react and stalked over to the wooden desk. Shu Ning walked in behind him and took a short moment to look around the space. The room was decorated like an office, there was a desk, a couch, a coffee table and a small bookcase filled with historical and political text. The male standing behind the desk Zhao Yang had stopped infront of was a tall man with a stern look in his eyes and sharp facial contures. There was a strong resemblance between the two figures accross from each other. But beside that, what actually caught his attention the most was the guy curently sitting on the blue cushions of the couch. It was a person he unfortunately recognized. Xu Dan.