The start

2020
March

"...So you add another x- Julia, are you even paying attention?" Mr. Baldwin's voice broke through my daydreaming.

If you actually think I'm going to answer that question, think again.

"Anyway, where were we?" he attempted to continue but the bell thankfully rang.

"Oh perfect, see you tomorrow! Don't forget your homework! Pages 46 and 47 must be done by tomorrow," he finally concluded, the sarcasm in his voice evident.

If I'm being honest with myself, I despise math. I only need division and multiplication in my life, that's it. But since this is my last year, I should at least make an effort to understand and, you know...pass.

"Ugh, finally," my best friend Sophia muttered, trying to conceal her frustration from the teacher.

"This lesson couldn't get any more boring," she continued, tossing her books into her bag one by one.

"Literally..." I mumbled in agreement, getting out of my seat.

"Bye!" I called out to her as she hurried off to her next class on the other side of the school. Who makes these schedules?

After stowing away my math books in my plain black backpack, I ventured into the dimly lit school corridors.

I could hear the chilling winter wind whistling through the air vents and see the school windows trembling. A shiver ran down my spine as I felt the cold breeze seeping in through the open school door.

In walked a visibly stressed man.

Tall.

Messy and long hair.

Deep furrows etched on his forehead, widely known as eyebrows.

Tinted glasses resting just above his nose.

Dark blue wide-leg jeans, damn, dude's got style.

Long beige winter coat draped over his broad shoulders.

The school map clutched in his hands.

"Hey, excuse me," he called out in my direction.

"Me?"

"Yeah, you. Could you tell me where class A-203 is, please? I'm a bit lost, and late," he spoke with an unfamiliar accent, only muttering the last part.

I was taken aback, of course.

He was talking to me? After a few seconds of just staring at him I decided to finally answer.

"Oh yeah, It's down the corridor, turn left. It's on the second floor. Nothing too complicated," I managed to keep my composure and flashed a smile, even though I knew my face was probably as red as a tomato.

"Thanks, I'm Jan by the way," he slightly smirked, whisper-yelling back at me as he dashed towards the end of the corridor.

I tried to respond, but all that came out was a puff of hot air. A crooked smile remained plastered on my face.

This was going to be one eventful day...