Boyfriend

We exited the taxi. Jan quickly thanked the driver, avoiding me at all costs. An undeniable awkwardness lingered between us as I made my way to the huge building. He kept a good distance from me as I entered the lobby, seeing that he was still outside from the corner of my eye, gaze glued to the ground.

What has gotten into him?

I greeted the receptionist before strolling towards the elevators, waiting for Jan. He took a glance at the stairwell but shook his head before entering the cramped room as well. He pushed the number three button, the doors closing with a thud and the sense of gravity leaving my body for a second.

The tension could be cut with a knife as he leaned against the chilly wall opposite of me, avoiding any sort of contact. I decided to ignore it, and waited until we were on our desired floor.

We swiftly stepped out as the machine dinged, a green carpet meeting the soles of my shoes. My eyes wandered around the hallway as did Jans, searching for the right door. Stress gradually took over my body, making me pace back of forth and overthink my every action.

"Calm down," his tone was cold and stern but his softened eyes told a different story. Still I rolled my eyes and slouched against the wall, glaring at him.

"Hey, you must be Jan and you Julia?" a male voice broke our silence.

"That would be us" I straightened up, forcing a smile and entered the room 314 after Mark. Jan just nodded and followed us inside.

The room was rather large but cozy, tones warm and welcoming. Two leather couches in the middle of the room caught my attention as well as the posters on the walls, including The Weeknd, Lana Del Rey, Arctic Monkeys, etc. The amount of instruments cluttered around the room also couldn't go unnoticed, guitars hung up on the wall giving the place a cool vibe.

Mark guided us to one of the brown couches, making himself comfortable in the opposite one. We awkwardly sat down, as far from each other as physically possible. He noticed but didn't say anything, already making small talk with Jan while I drifted away.

"Jan, I really like your voice," he took a sip from his mug, shifting in his position to get closer to the brunette next to me.
"Thank you so much, it means a lot," he chuckled, slowly starting to ease up.
"So tell me about it. The song I mean," Mark pointed at the computer, the lyrics to Do You Wanna Come Over visible on the big screen.

He started explaining but all I could hear was ringing. Looking into empty space, my head went empty. Absolutely nothing on my mind. All sounds felt muffled, close to the feeling when I'm high.

"Hey, hey. Julia, you okay?" someone asked. They sounded concerned, worry palpable in their voice. I had somehow ended up on the floor.
My head was pounding and ears still ringing, but worse. I tried lifting my head, a shot of electric pain flashed trough my neck all the way down my spine making me groan and shut my eyes.

The last thing I remember is Jan calling someone, pacing back and forth just like I was...

-

I woke up in a white room, the faint sound of chatter catching my attention. It didn't take long for me to figure out where I was. The hospital. 

The machine beeped next to me constantly, making my headache only worse. I let out a sound that's a mix between a groan and a whine, closing my eyes again. Someone gasped, grasping my hand and squeezing it. My head shot to their direction, trying to make out their features - those soft greys staring at my vulnerable face, curls falling perfectly on his shoulders.

"What happened?" was the first thing I asked coughing, trying to shake the feeling off.

"Oh thank god, you're alive," he let out a sigh of relief. As the picture became clearer, I noticed the uncomfortable looking plastic chair he was sitting in. "You passed out due to dehydration and...stress I guess," he explained, answering my question. I slowly nodded, rising my brows, my gaze falling on my lap.

"I'm sorry," he continued, whispering and looking down, tracing invisible patterns on the back of my hand.
"Of course you are," I rolled my eyes but chuckled, taking a look at him.
"No, but like seriously. I don't think I have ever met anyone like you," he tried making eye contact, unsuccessful.
"Sure," I mumbled in response.

"Can you hand me some water?" I finally asked, my throat drier that the Sahara desert.
He obeyed and handed me a white plastic cup full of room temperature water.
"Thanks," I glanced at him with a slight smile on my lifeless face.
I chugged the water down in seconds and handed the, now empty, cup back to Jan. The room fell into a hushed silence again.

He decided to break the awkwardness after a while of just staring at me, "We need to talk," 

"Do we?" I gave up on avoiding his eyes, sarcasm evident in my words.
"I'm being dead serious," he squeezed my hand once more.
"Then what are you waiting for?" I looked at our hands, my cold one under his almost invisible.

He thought about it before finally blurting out, "I like you," his eyes full of hope.
"You do?" I was stunned at the sudden statement, instantly locking eyes with him.
"Of course I do," he confirmed, a warm smile dancing on his lips.
"Well-"

"Hello, Ms.O'coney. We are going to run some last tests and then you and your boyfriend are free to go," our conversation got interrupted by a nurse entering the room. I nodded and she left without a second thought.

I looked at Jan with my infamous smirk, his cheeks reddened in an instant.
"Boyfriend huh?" I nudged his shoulder, completely ignoring what he'd said before.
"They don't let strangers in patient's rooms so I had to come up with something, and we don't look like siblings, do we," he explained, scrunching his nose.
I just smiled to myself.

-

I had settled into Jan's apartment as due to the nurses demand, someone needs to look over me for the next three days or so. Sophie is busy so he was my only other option. No complaints, though.

He had just finished making popcorn and tea for a movie night, resting them on the coffee table. His suggestion. I laid down on his couch, turning the TV on while he searched for blankets. After a while he finally plopped down next to me and started scrolling on Netflix, occasionally stealing glances at me.

I draped the blanket over us both and let my muscles relax, snuggling closer to his side, seeking comfort. He smiled in return, letting me rest my head on his shoulder which I gladly accepted.

We scrolled and scrolled until finally setting on '10 reasons I hate you'. Iconic movie. The poem scene made me cry in an instant. He stopped the movie for a moment to help me calm down by holding me even closer. It worked for the most part.

The movie ended, my eyes already fluttering shut, a wave of sudden tiredness washing over me. Jan must've felt the same as not even ten minutes later I could hear his soft snores. We fell asleep right then and there.

.................................................................................
Every time I listen to 'do you wanna come over' I for some reason get motivation to write.
Idk what's up with that but Vote, Share and Comment😘😘