Cafeteria

I woke up to the sound of my alarm blaring, groaning as I realised it's Monday, in other words - school. Even though Jan is basically forced to look over me, we still have to go to school. The system is fucked.

Rubbing the sleep from my eyes, I glanced around the room. The empty popcorn bowl was still sitting next to me, Jans arms wrapped around me. The look on his face was peaceful. As much as I wanted to just skip today and sleep until noon, I gently shook him, hoping it would wake him up. He let out a whine, pulling me closer. Butterflies in my stomach, I rose from the couch, attempting to pull him with me but failing miserably.

He was wide awake now, staring at me from below, a smirk plastered on his face. I playfully rolled my eyes and left him there, making my way to the bathroom to brush my teeth. He decided to follow me after a while, mirroring my actions. 

We got dressed, me borrowing his clothes as we didn't have time to stop at my place yesterday. My outfit concluded of some light wash jeans, held up by a shoelace, and a black graphic tee. 

The next stop was his kitchen. I opened the refrigerator only to be met with a can of peas and some celery. Does this guy even eat? At least the fruit bowl on the small wooden table next to the window was full. I chose a banana, he on the other hand, an apple.

We took our bags and left the building.

Jan and I don't have any classes together, which is a shame considering how much I relied on him at the moment.

As we entered the school, it seemed like all eyes were suddenly on us. It felt weird, but I brushed it off and headed towards my locker, Jan trailing close behind me. Before I could even reach my locker, Sophie came running towards us, excitement evident on her face. 

"How does it feel to be famous?" she squealed, enveloping me in a tight hug that could block airways. Oh, that explains the stares. I hugged her back, Jan awkwardly standing beside us. I could sense his discomfort.

"2.6 million views on YouTube as of right now," Sophie exclaimed, clearly thrilled for me. She let me go after a while, turning to Jan in an attempt to hug him as well. He politely declined and opted for a handshake instead.

"I'm Sophie," she introduced herself, looking embarrassed. "Jan," his voice was just above a whisper, gaze fixed on me rather than Sophie. I mouthed an apology to her and took Jan's hand, leading us away from the commotion.

Right, there was still a conversation that needed to happen between him and I.

The first two lessons passed by quickly, and then it was time for biology class with Clay and Marie, two people I didn't particularly enjoy being around. Thankfully, there was no group work assigned for the day, so I could just focus on getting through the class.

Finally, it was lunchtime. I searched for Jan everywhere, but he was nowhere to be found. It was as if he had vanished into thin air. I made my way to the school cafeteria, that's when I spotted him. He was engrossed in conversation with Sophie, who seemed suspiciously happy and interested in something. I waved at them, but they didn't even acknowledge me. Shrugging it off, I approached their table.

As soon as they saw me, their mood changed.Something was definitely going on. I sat down next to Jan, opposite Sophie. The atmosphere was tense, my attempts on making small talk failing. They were completely silent. Sophie had a smirk on her face, while Jan appeared embarrassed. Confused, I furrowed my brows and looked at both of them. Jan briefly met my gaze before gluing his eyes to the ground, a small smile playing on his lips. Sophie's eyes were fixed solely on me.

"We were just talking about you," she finally spoke up, causing Jan's smile to fade and him to glare at her. Now it was my turn to smirk. I nudged Jan's shoulder, and he looked into my eyes with a crooked smile that melted my heart. "My ship has sailed," she declared, dancing in her own little world. I playfully rolled my eyes at her, an 'are you serious' look on my face as I grabbed two sandwiches for both Jan and me. Handing one to him, it disappeared in an instant. "That was fire," he sang with a full mouth, finally breaking the silence. I finished my sandwich and headed to math class.