Medic

"You're going to have to cooperate with me," said the medic, wetting a cotton ball with rubbing alcohol and making her way to Julia. I held her hand, tracing invisible patterns on her skin as she stared into blank space, silent tears still rolling down her cheeks. She hasn't said anything since I carried her into the first aid room half and hour ago. I really don't blame her, though.

She didn't say anything and continued staring at the wall, the only sound being the medic and the clock ticking. I hate loud clocks. They should've never been invented.

As the alcohol hit her skin she immediately squeezed my hand, trying to stop the burning but her expression remained emotionless. The older woman swiped the cotton along her neck, not leaving any bit of skin untouched. After that she moved on to her swollen wrists. She let out a gasp when she saw the purple and in some places even yellow bruises. I swear she was about to faint when she saw the small cuts caused by Matthews dry and crusty hands. She was scared to even hold them but she did it anyways. I let go of Julia's hand, instantly taking her other one.

This time she squeezed my hand even harder, slightly squinting her eyes from the stinging. The woman carefully but tightly wrapped the compression bandage around her wrist and did the same on her other one.

"You can lay down now. Would you like some water?"
She shook her head, laying down as the woman suggested. I didn't let go of her hand.
"But you?" The medic turned to me. I nodded a quick yes, knowing that we would get a moment of silence for a little while until she got back. And with that, she left us alone. Not even a second later her phone started ringing. She took a quick look, her eyes growing sadder, if that's even possible at this point.

"I'm gonna go to the bathroom," she quickly rasped out, standing up and making her way to the small room. My eyes followed her movements as I helped her.

I hesitantly closed the door behind her and sat down on one of the metal chairs next to the door, shutting my eyes. I massaged my temples as I tried to understand who she was talking to. It didn't take long for me to understand that it was her mother by the tone of her voice. How can a woman be so cruel. Even worse, to your own daughter. I've only heard bad things about her. Not a single good thing.

The medic entered the room, a confused look on her face when she didn't see Julia. I pointed at the bathroom. In return she gave me a thumbs up before handing me the water. We sat in silence, the only sound being the muffled talking from the phone call.

"So Eurovision. Big thing right?" the older woman tried changing the subject. I just nodded, not saying a word. The silence took over once again. I rested my head against the wall, shutting my eyes once again and letting out a sigh.

"Who did this?"

She really wants to talk, doesn't she. I guess I have to tell someone.

"Her ex, Matthew who also happens to be the frontman of her band," I said in one breath, keeping my eyes closed.
"Is this a first time thing or-"
"I don't know. She doesn't like talking about her relationship with him," the bathroom door opened right when I finished the sentence. My head shot to her direction just to find her already staring at me. We shared a knowing look. She hasn't changed. Gosh I hate that woman. Even though I haven't met her I hate her so so so much. Almost as much as Matthew.

I immediately stood up and made my way to her. She looked up at me, tears swelling in her eyes. Even then she looked perfect. The most beautiful person I've ever laid my eyes on. Even with her messed up hair and makeup. I was so afraid I would never see her again but now she's here, right in front of me and I will never let what happened in 2020 ever happen again. I can't lose her again.

My arms wrapped around her like a reflex as she buried her face into my chest, letting it all out. Her sobs made me want to die. I held her, never wanting to let go, afraid she's gonna disappear or vanish into thin air.