MANUEL'S JOURNEY OF DESPAIR

"Look at me now, my life is a mess. My colleagues are in the university with smiles hovering over their faces, and here I am going to write my failed papers all over again. Including the ones I've passed. Sigh! What a life! I guess this is my end," said Manuel. His mum began to comfort him assuring him everything is going to be okay but he refused to be comforted. Calls came from family members assuring him everything was going to be okay and cautioned him not to be antisocial.

They got to the school premises with Manuel fully depressed and heavy burdened. Devastated and worried about how he was going to fit in and the stress he is going to pass through again. In the bursar's office his mum introduced him and put him into the hands of the school bursar to watch over him. Emmanuel panicked when his eyes fell on the amount of money being paid as fees. In fact, that money could have been used to buy a plot of land during his time. The amount was about eight thousand nine hundred cedis.

He was sent to the classroom where he will be in with the other students who are now about to experience the intensity of writing Wassce (West African Senior High Certificate). With heaviness in heart he went and sat quietly not knowing what to do. Other students mummering quietly to catch a glimpse of who this new student was. He wearing glasses made the pressure more intense because there was a popular saying that people who wear glasses are super intelligent.

Out of the blue a teacher who was called Sir Comrade entered the classroom and the girls began to smile and praise him. They asked him how his Christmas holidays went and how he spent it. He gave them a positive feedback on the amazing moments he experienced. After all the experiences he shared, he began to share words of wisdom with them. Thus, backing it with scriptures. Manuel in astonishment said,"Wow! This teacher is a believer. At least he can motivate me and make my stay in the school better and not worry at all."

After Sir Comrade left Manuel decided to lay his head on the table in devastation and with a troubled heart. After he laid to rest for a while the bell rang for closing and he quickly woke up. He thought he was at home only to realise he was in the same place of misery. Manuel gave a heavy sigh, took his bag and vacated the school premises as well as other students. Manuel began to initiate his plan of being antisocial and decided to walk directly to the dormitory. Funnily and sadly he lost his way to the dormitory. He turned and saw a beautiful and fair coloured girl called Georgina.

He realises the girl was anxious and overreacting. She pointed towards his direction and he decided to read her body language to see what she was trying to mean. He then realised she was telling the students around her to help me find my way but he was lost. Some two students, Michaela and Musa came to his aid to show him the way to the boys dormitory. Georgina was curious to know him, thus she approached him and said,"Don't worry. Ermm...if you need anything let me know." Manuel strangely looked at her with a dimming smile and agreed to whatever she said.

He was sent to the dormitory sat for a while taking a glance at the environment. He heard a bang on the door and behold the assistant house master. Students usually call him Paa Percy. He saw Manuel and wanted to insinuate fear into him by being harsh. He said,"Come! Bring your stuffs and let me search. Anything that is not prescribed will be seized." Manuel said to himself,"Come on. I'm already not in good shape and this man wants to even make it worse. Sigh! It seems God has turned his face from me."

Sir Percy first began to question him about the school he went to and which subject brought him to the school. Manuel with honesty mentioned the subjects he failed in. Sir Percy said to him,"You know something? You can't make it in this school if you don't study. The name of the school is just for the hype but in actual fact it's all about you."

After the piece of advise he told Manuel to bring his stuffs for inspection. He checked his stuffs and could not find anything unprescribed. He saw his iron and seized it with the belief that it is they the house masters who provide the students with iron. Also, he saw the food stuffs he brought and Sir Percy was keen on getting some of Manuel's foodstuffs. He then told Manuel to put five wrapped biscuits on his table. Out of frustration he went to put it on his table and went to he room he is going to stay till he completes school.

The senior house master came to his aid to help him settle down and feel okay. He turned on the antisocial mode and decided not to talk to even the people in his room. Mysteriously a guy named Goliath entered the room. Damn! The guy was so short, and thus he was given that name. He came sharing his stories with the others guys only for Manuel to hear that Goliath came to the school with seven A's and a B. Manuel could not believe this, he saw this to be ridiculous because he did not fail his exam at all. That grade was hundred percent strong to send him to any university in the world. Manuel thought to himself that some people are ungrateful for the good things life provides, for it is greed that makes them so.

It was time for dinning and students were rushing to go and eat. Manuel felt reluctant to go and eat because he was not okay within himself. Goliath came to him and forced him to go and eat. Manuel went to take his food and tried eating to sustain him, since he has not eaten the whole day. After eating he went to dress up for preps to study with the other guys.

Sadly he could not concentrate with his studies, he wanted to burst put in tears but he could not. The other guys decided to go and play instrumentals for the church nearby. Manuel was left all alone just starring at the book. He heard his favourite gospel song being played by the church nearby. He then burst into tears not because the song moved him, but because the song ignited an amount of sorrow within him.

He burst into tears and exclaimed loud⁰ly saying,"Oh Lord! Why hast thou forsaken me? Why hast thou left me for mine enemies to mock me? I prayed, I fasted and the answer you gave me was for me to live miserably! I learnt and burned the midnight candle. Didn't you say you'll reap what you sow. I sowed hardwork and you gave me failure. I guess you work in every aspect of life except academics. Then that's fine!"