BATTLING UNFAIRNESS WITH HOPE SEEKING

Manuel did not know what to do with himself any longer. He sat on the ground just sobbing in tears throughout imagining how his colleagues are relaxed in the university and they do not have to wear a uniform. And he has to wear a uniform and sleep in an uncomfortable room and by force have to come to study from six to nine o'clock. Whiles the others can study anytime they feel like. He felt life has been hundred percent unfair to him because people who did not put in much effort made it.

After sobbing in tears he went out to buy a sachet of water. After buying the water, a certain girl called Annette spotted Manuel from afar. She said to herself, "Wait, is this not the new guy who...and he's coming for preps. Wow! This guy means business. Well, he's cute anyway. I'll just try my luck." And bit her lip softly. She went on to buy noodles and greeted Manuel. Manuel responded normally but with a grimaced look. She said,"Ermm...Manuel it seems there's no preps this week. If I may ask who said you should come for preps." Manuel softly replied,"My house master. I guess.."

Annette replied saying, "Okay sure. I hope you have a goodnight sleep." They both parted ways and she quickly went to her dormitory and said to her friends which were Magdalena, Sandy and Mona. She went hurriedly to them and said, "Guys listen, can you believe this new guy went to preps." The girls were astonished and said,"Come on like seriously, this guy is really determined. It's too early to start studying." Annette replied,"Well, the fact that he has come to write again doesn't mean he's not smart. Moreover he's handsome and has cute lips. I wish I could just have a feel of it by kissing him."

Magdalena said,"Annette, don't tell me you've started to have a crush on this guy all of a sudden. If so it'll be fun if and only if he carries cash. He actually looks like a rich kid." Annette replied, "Because he's a rich kid."

Meanwhile, Manuel went back to his dormitory feeling the same way but went on to sleep to ease the pain he was having. After a while of normal sleep he woke up and his room mates were not fully awake. He feared to go out because it was dawn and thus risky to go out alone. Yet he felt he has already been wasted, thus should anything happen to him it would not matter. He went to take his bath, dressed up and took his bag to class. He realised he has not brushed his teeth. He had to walk all the way to the bath house just to just brush his teeth.

His colleagues around began to mock him in thoughts that he is very stupid and a simp. Manuel finished and went to class very early around six o'clock in the morning. He took his bible read and said,"Whatever happens he is still God. Whether he tears my life apart like as piece of cloth or not he will forever be my God. As Job said that there's hope for a tree that is cut down, so I believe there's hope."

After he finished having his quiet time, he went to the class and began to observe whatever is going on in the class. Suddenly a teacher called Jesse entered the class and he began to become conversant with the students. He began asking them how the holidays went and telling them what he saw on their WhatsApp status the way they were having fun.

Sir Jesse realised there are new faces in the classroom and he told all the new people to be on their feet to introduce as he normally does. Manuel began first by mentioning his full name and Sir Jesse with a grumpy face tried to intimidate Manuel and said,"Do you know me?" Manuel with his normal innocent face replied,"No sir!" Sir Jesse replied,"Really? Wow then you should have heard of me before coming." He whispered to Manuel saying, "I'm wicked." Sir Jesse left his presence to ask the others of their names and Manuel's emotions began to be fragile and looked up in despair.

After all the introduction he Sir Jesse introduced himself. He then began to teach them and out of the blue the assistant principal who was nicknamed as 'Stem eye' entered the classroom with authority, scanned the classroom and realised some newcomers are in. He went on to shout on top of his voice saying, "You these newcomers, from now on I'll be watching you guys. You people come with innocent faces and leave this school with all kinds of negativity and atrocities." He was about leaving and looked at Manuel's face and said, "You, I saw you yesterday. My eyes are fixed on you." Manuel said to himself, "This man thinks he'd get me. Oh please...if I'd have a change of attitude it'd have been in my former school not here."

After a while of teachers not coming to teach since Sir Jesse came Manuel felt heavily sad and weak from not eating well. Manuel took from his bag his book of written poetries to calm his soul down. He began reading and reminiscing the past and wishing his present was just a dream and not real. He suddenly heard some group if girls calling him. He turned and behold it was Annette and her girls who were calling. He went to them and they made him to sit by them.

They asked him of his name, why he came to Wisconsin college and what he got in his wassce result. Now Manuel felt he was being interviewed by a panel of Judges. He began to tell them his wassce results was so average that he was forced to write it again. After all the serious questions. Annette gazed at his lips, bit her lips and said,"His lips is cute." Magdalena replied,"Annette please don't let your hoe be filled with water over here." Everyone burst into laughter and Manuel thought to himself saying, "Seriously..like these girls...I got to get out of here but how?"

They began to pour out unnecessary questions asking him if he has kissed or dated before. He replied with no for an answer. They all did not believe him on the fact he has dated because he went to a mixed gender school and not a single gender school. Also did not believe on the fact that he has not kissed before because he has got pink lips. Annette said to him in the midst of all the girls around that,"Let's find time together so that I'll kiss you maybe in the evening during preps."

Manuel in a confused manner asked himself if these girls are in their right mind. He answered to questioned them,"Okay...." They cut his speaking and began laughing. Manuel looked at them and said to himself that these girls are not serious. No one was throwing questions and no one was speaking. Everyone was silent and Georgina looked at Manuel and said,"Won't you talk, do you expect ladies to be questioning you all the time. You're a man for crying out loud." Manuel got tired of all the drama and told the girls he's moving to his sitting position. As he left they began to whisper and talk about him on how to get closer to him the more.