THE SCHOOL CONTEST

School was reopened after one month of vacation to commence teaching and learning. Manuel went to school and it seems this was the last term for them before the wassce exams begin. It was rumoured the students if Wisconsin College would go and write in another branch in a new location. Thus, a competition was organised for the branches of Wisconsin College.

The date was set the exciting moment of games and who has the highest intellectual quotient. As at six o'clock to six thirty students were all ready for the bus to pick them up for the location in which the event would take place. Well the bus was already full and some had to stand the whole journey duration till they arrived.

The school arrived and they came to meet the contest of "Who has the highest intellectual quotient." Manuel, Bernard and Louis arrived together with Khadijah and Vashti.

At the end of the intellectual contest, the Manuel's branch took the second position. They were beaten by just a point, and Goliath was hailed for representing them in the contest. Everyone got to know at that point Goliath was super intelligent and there is a possibility he will get eight A's in the upcoming wassce examinations.

Soon the soccer contest for the different branches. They began with the girls first. The girls began the soccer contest and the girls from Manuel's branch were so terrible. Their hair was weighing them out, rookie footballers would be by far better than them. Meanwhile the other branch girls played as if they played in the women's league in Europe. Their passes were perfect, control was awesome, goals came as expected and win prediction was correct. Manuel's branch lost by two goals to nil.

There came the match for the boys. Manuel's school team and the other school's team. The match began with intensity and physicality. It was like Chelsea under Thomas Tuchel versus a Man City under Pep Guardiola. Manuel's school team were struggling to match up to their opponents. The game was heavy and infact, they were bullied on the pitch.

Their goalkeeper Nasri was excellent at shot stopping despite his team struggling on the pitch. Surprisingly the struggling team ended up with a goal up. The jubilation stormed the school to the extent that the place became like the stadium of Anfield.

The game commenced, and the intensity and the pressure from the opposition accelerated. Nasri made great saves, he became the Casillas of the game. Unfortunately, the opposition equalised and it was one one. The game ended up in penalties. Nasri was determined to save the penalties but he was not able to save it.

His frustration grew as he was unable to save the penalty. Louis came to him and said,"Bro...saving a penalty is not about watching the leg of the player to check the direction he's going to play. It's about observing were the ball would move to. Look at great penalty savers like Kepa, Allison, Courtois, and others. They don't watch the leg of the player. They watch the ball. Try it and bet if it'd not work."

It Nasri's turn to save the penalty. Nasri had to save this penalty to send his team to the final. This time he decided to heed to Louis's advise. The ball was kicked and Nasri quickly saved the ball from entering the net. And again the whole school was filled with noise that could fill a stadium. Everyone was overjoyed and could not believe they made it to the final.

They had a glimpse of hope to win the final. Manuel went to Nasri and asked how the game went. Nasri said, "Bro....it wasn't easy at all. Do you know how it feels when the ball touches the tip of your fingers and enters the net? It's super painful. That's what happened till I saved the last penalty. Now I'd have to prepare to for the final for us to win it."

Everyone jubilated upon hearing the speech of Nasri. They began to chant the name of Nasri over and over and cheered him on as he matched to the pitch for the final showdown.

The game began as everyone was anticipating for the winner of the competition. Nasri unawarely was out of position as the ball was being played in the middle of the field. The opponent decided to try his luck from distance since he realised Nasri was out of position. His luck paid off as he kicked and put the ball at the back of the net. Nasri tried to reach out but it was too late.

No one insulted him because he was just human. In fact, many people realised the opposition were not students but rather talented players who play street soccer. They outplayed, outpaced, and outclassed the players. Sadly, they ended being two nil up with a classic free kick goal. Despite all of these, Nasri ended up making saves which was out of this world. Thus, prevented his team from getting the disgrace of their lives.

It was a sad way to end the final and not getting a hand to the trophy. Yet, Nasri won the player of the tournament. He broke the record by being the first goalkeeper to win player of the tournament. Some people began making comments that the reason they lost was because the other team did not play fairly. This was due to the fact that the other school hired players who played street soccer.

After the contest Manuel went upstairs only to find out Michelle was in a deep conversation with a guy. Manuel increased with jealousy but pretended he was not interested with what was going on with them. He waited for sometime and still they were in a conversation. Manuel got pissed eventually and left.

Tired and in anguish Manuel entered the bus to get a place to sit. He entered the bus and saw Annette and Regina mocking him mercilessly. He could not get a grip on that and he ignored. Yet he could not understand why they were treating him that way. He thought to himself saying "Oh no! The deal I made with them. No wonder they're mocking me with so much enthusiasm.

......................

It so happened the following day Manuel decided to go into a conversation with Michelle. At a point Michelle began to feel cold due to the weather that day. Manuel wanted to take away the jacket he was wearing and use it to cover her. She pretended not to like the treatment Manuel was giving to her because she was shy people would tease her. She later accepted for her to be covered.

Vashti came around and requested for Manuel to give her his jacket. Manuel refused to give it to her because he preferred to give it to Michelle rather than her. Vashti said in her heart, "This guy always gets on my nerves. And he thinks Michelle loves him. If he only knew what's at stake for him he'd quickly get up and never come here again."

Manuel realised Vashti was starring at him with an evil look. Manuel asked her why she was starring at him with such eyes. Vashti also replied by saying Manuel was starring at her that's why she starred back. She said in her heart again, "How I wish I can teach this guy a lesson but.....the guardian angel is too strong. If I venture I'd end up losing my life."