THE END OF THE ACADEMIC JOURNEY

Everyone began to murmur concerning what happened between the house mistress and Zoey. They began to speak negative about her being not being serious with her studies. Madam Laura called all students to assemble before her. They assembled in front of her. She came and said, "My fellow students, one thing I'll like to tell you is you never get things easy in life. The get something valuable you'll have to strive for it. If you get things easy it's never going to last."

The quietness amongst them erupted and was replaced by noise. She silenced the students and continued with her speech for students to emulate the ability to pay the prize for good grades. She spoke with so much passion and pain to the extent that some students felt sorry for her.

After a heartfelt speech she made the students to disperse to their various destinations. Annette speedily went to Manuel and said, "Manny, I hope you're alright and not troubled." Manuel replied that he is fine and asked Annette why she gave that statement. Annette replied, "Well, it's because of what happened to Zoey. And since she sits in front of you in the exam hall and helped you out in the exam I felt...."

Manuel said, "Ann...who told you Zoey was helping me on the exam hall? Who gave you that idea?" Annette replied, "Manny, are you being for real at the moment. Almost everyone In the school knows Zoey helped you out. Remember walls have ears and the sun has eyes. This school is a small school. Why are you surprised?"

Manuel sighed and remained speechless for sometime. Annette said, "Well, that's just by the way. I guess we'll be having class in the evening before the paper tomorrow. I hope you'll be around." Manuel gave her an assurance he will be around.

Nick spotted Manuel speaking to Annette and after he was done he went straight to him to ask him if he has heard from Michelle. Manuel's anger aggravated after he heard Nick mentioning Michelle's name. He said, "Bro, Michelle isn't in the story anymore! I've deleted her from my medulla already. She's in the past. After all she's just dust." Nick was really surprised at his reaction and said, "Bro, relax! It's just a question I asked. Moreover she's leaving today because she wrote her last paper."

Manuel replied, "Whatever! I'm just focused on writing last paper and get our of this school that has just provided me with hell."

..................

Manuel was drinking a sachet of water and Malik begged him to give him a share of the water. He gave Malik the water and Malik threw the water back at him and pounced of him. Malik began to squeeze his neck to take his life away. Manuel was trying to defend himself but his strength went on to being lower than average.

At once Manuel woke up and panting and sweating only to realise it was a dream after a short nap. Manuel said to himself, "Sigh! My prayer life has come down due to this examinations. The enemy wants to eliminate me quick just because I attacked Vashti. Let me just write this paper and leave this school once and for all."

At night Nick and Manuel went to class to meet up with Dj Flow to run through the Geography with them. The class began at midnight and Manuel could not help but control his eyes from closing. He was determined to pass this examination even though he did not fail. They solved questions after questions including practicals. When they finished it was three o'clock at dawn.

Everyone was optimistic that the questions solved in the class would surely drop in the exam. After just sleeping for two hours, Manuel and Nick freshened up to go and study. Now all they could do was to study the questions and the answers they discussed in class.

It was almost time for the examination to take place. Thus, everyone began to search for the place they have been allocated. Manuel searched everywhere and could not find his index number anywhere. He looked confused because he knew he registered all the subjects for the course.

Manuel was frustrated and Nick asked why he was frustrated. Manuel narrated everything to him and he directed him to the teacher responsible for the indexing. He went to the teacher to help him out only to be blasted and be blamed for cleaning the number on the table and putting it somewhere else.

Manuel looked confused and said, "But Sir, I did not clean anything. I just came and it so happened I cannot find my index number. This is not my doing!" The teacher spoke rudely to him and sacked him from his presence. Manuel looked angry and Nick asked what happened. Manuel said, "You know what? I'm going to find another place to write my exam. If they ask me why I'm there all I'm going to tell them is, I cannot find my number."

Nick asked saying, "Manuel, what went on with you and the teacher. Did it go well." Manuel said, "Bro, the man was just rude. He blamed me for my index number not appearing, thus claiming I'm the one who cleaned my index number off my table and replacing it. I just don't know what to do now."

Nick thought of it for a while and said to Manuel, "Calm down, I feel it's a part of their plan. Some people are in the engine room. And because of this arrangement, they don't want the BNI to suspect a thing. But don't worry, where there's a will there's a way."

Nick and Manuel saw Annette pass by in  frustration. Manuel went out and called Annette because she was quickly rushing somewhere. She also looked frustrated and Manuel asked her if she has found her index number. She said, "I can't find my index number and it's looking frustrating at the moment."

Both Manuel and Annette looked confused. Out of the blue one teacher came around and announced that those who could not find their index numbers should move to a particular classroom. Manuel, Annette and others moved into that classroom and they were settled down. They looked a bit disappointed but they took it that way.

The exam papers were shared to them. They looked through and to their surprise none of the questions and the answers discussed in the classroom appeared in the exam paper. Manuel got chills and was confused. He felt the answers mixed up in his mind.

The exam began and Manuel almost slept on his paper because he did not sleep well at night. But he kept his eyes opened so he would write the paper. Even though Zoey was not with him at the moment, he was able to write the paper. For he was a good student and was good with Geography.

Even though he was able to write, Manuel felt disappointed and he regretted ever attending the midnight class. He felt he wasted his time and swore never to attend any midnight class again.

The examination was done and there was jubilation all over. Some people were in tears because they would not see each other again. Some exchanged numbers to keep in touch when they are at home.

Manuel smiled and could not believe he has finished his exam, he has completed the school, and he is no more coming back here again. Tears of joy streamed from his eyes as he began to reminisce everything from the beginning of the time he arrived till the the day he completed.