VI.I.: Are you ready for a War?

"My God, Rhodes, your talent for horseshit rivals my own." The voice of secretary Ross was heard throughout the compound and Rhodey resisted the persistent urge to roll his eyes.

"If it weren't for those Accords, Vision would've been right here."

"I remember your signature on those papers, Colonel."

"That's right. And I'm pretty sure I've paid for that." He raised from his previous position of leaning against the table.

"You have second thoughts?"

"Not anymore."

"Mr. Secretary." New voice spoke and both Ross and Rhodes turned their heads. There they stood. Wanda and Sam together supporting injured Vision, Steve with a tired stare, glaring at the hologram of the secretary, and Liam with Natasha, their sides pressed impossibly close together.

"You got some nerve. I'll give you that." Ross growled.

"You could use some of that right now." Natasha smirked and Liam huffed out a quiet laugh.

"The world's on fire. And you think, all is forgiven?"

"I'm not looking for forgiveness. And I'm way past asking for permission. Earth just lost her best defender. So we're here to fight. And if you wanna stand in our way... We'll fight you, too." Steve said in his 'no bullshit' tone and stepped closer.

"Arrest them." Ross ordered and this time, Rhodey did not resist any urge.

"All over it." He quickly said and turned the hologram off. "That's a court-martial. It's great to see you, Cap."

"You too, Rhodey." They hugged.

"Well. You guys, really look like crap. Must've been a rough couple of years." The six chuckled and Natasha and Liam shared a knowing look. Yeah, rough years.

"Yeah, well, the hotels weren't exactly five star." Sighed Sam.

"Uh, I think you look great." Familiar voice spoke. They turned, just as Bruce rounded the corner. "Yeah. I'm back."

***

"So we gotta assume they're coming back, right? And they can clearly find us. We need all hands on deck. Where's Clint?" They stood in the living room exchanging information.

"After the whole Accords situation, he and Scott took a deal. It was too tough on their families." Natasha answered Bruce.

"Who's Scott?"

"Ant-Man."

"There's an Ant-Man and a Spider-Man? Okay, look... Thanos has the biggest army in the Universe. And he is not gonna stop until he... He gets...Vision's stone." All eyes turned to the sentient robot.

"Well then, we have to protect it."

"No, we have to destroy it. I've been giving a good deal of thought to this entity in my head, about its nature. But also, its composition. I think if it were exposed to a sufficiently powerful energy source, something, very similar to its own signature, perhaps... Its molecular integrity could fail." Vision explains and steps closer to Wanda, placing his hand on her cheek.

"And you, with it. We're not having this conversation." She bites back.

"Eliminating the stone is the only way to be certain that Thanos can't get it."

"That's too high a price."

"Only you, have the power to pay it. Thanos threatens half the Universe. One life cannot stand in the way of defeating him."

"But it should. We don't trade lives, Vision." Pipes in Steve, seriousness back in his voice.

"Captain, 70 years ago, you laid down your life to save how many millions of people. Tell me, why is this any different?"

"Because you might have a choice. Your mind is made up of a complex construct of overlays. Jarvis, Ultron, Tony, me, the Stone. All of them mixed together. All of them learning from one another." Bruce quickly steps up before Steve can talk.

"You're saying Vision isn't just the stone?"

"I'm saying that... If we take out the stone, there's still a whole lot of Vision left. Perhaps the best parts."

"Can we do that?" Natasha asks hopefully.

"Not me." Bruce says and turns to look at Liam, whose face is already scrunched up with thoughts.

"Do you think you can do it?" Wanda asks him.

"I don't know, I wasn't there when Ultron and Cho put together the body. I don't know how it's connected. I'd have to..." He trailed off, looking at Vision with a questioning gaze. Ever since they first met, they shared an unspoken deal that Liam would not mess with Vision under any circumstances, and Vision had enormous respect, dare I say even fear of the man.

"Try." One word and that was it. Liam straightened and placed his fingers onto Vision's head. The room went deathly quiet as Liam closed his eyes. They stood there for a couple dozen seconds until finally, Liam blinked his eyes open and stepped away.

"Bruce is right. It's possible but none of us can do anything here. We don't have the tech. And... probably not the knowledge to do it successfully."

"You better find someone, and somewhere fast. Ross isn't exactly just gonna let you guys have your old rooms back." Rhodey hummed and Liam and Steve exchanged glances.

"I know somewhere."