Dullahan

This was requested by Cute-lil-spook! Thank you and enjoy!

Opening your eyes, your eyes widened when you saw that it was already dark. Sure, you fell asleep shortly before dinner, but you thought someone would come wake you up. Sitting up, you rubbed your sore back. Sleeping against a tree for a long time isn't exactly comfortable. Climbing down from the branch, you stretched.

Grinning at the sound of music, you chuckled. Sounds like someone is celebrating something. Peering around, you grinned. On this side of the river, no one is going to see if you dance. You prefer not to dance in front of others. Dancing by yourself is better than being embarrassed by your dancing.

Spinning and twirling as you circled the tree, you laughed as you sang with the music. Your joyous singing and dancing stopping when you heard a horse's whine. Sounds like someone came to get you for dinner. Walking around the tree where you heard the horse, you froze. The horse was larger than a normal horse. The man by the horse, was dressed like a noble man. Only the problem was he didn't have a head. He is an omen of death, Dullahan. Horrified, you backed up.

The spirit only stood there, almost fidgeting. Finally, he reached a hand to you as he seemed to bow. He wants to take you. If you see him, then that must mean you're going to die. You don't want too though. You want to stay with your family and friends. To live a full life. Noticing he took a step towards you; you sprinted around the tree to the river. If you can swim across, you should be safe, hopefully. Though you've never heard of someone seeing Dullahan and living. Reaching the river, you dove down, the dark water engulfing your vision.

Sitting up with a gasp, you screamed as if felt like your arm was encased with fire. Clutching your arm, you jumped down from the branch. Not understanding, you tried dunking your burning arm in the river. It didn't help though. Hearing laughing behind you, you figured that they could help you to a doctor. Sprinting around the tree, you saw two unfamiliar men were setting the tree on fire.

"Hey!" You yelled, though they didn't look at you, "Hey, help!" 

They only laughed, as they added more matches to the growing fire. Now it felt like your arm from the shoulder down was on fire. Feeling tears swell in your eyes, you dropped to the ground in pain.

"Please, help me!" You screamed, hoping they would listen to you.

They never looked at you though. They only turned away from the fire when the was a loud, demonic roar. Everyone's heads turned towards it, to see the Dullahan ridding towards the tree. The human spine he used as a whip cracking. The men screamed, as they scrambled to get away. Terrified, you crawled to the side of the tree. Closing your eyes as you cradled your arm and prayed, he would pass you.

You felt sick when you heard the bone whip crack followed by the screams of them men. Then there was silence. Well, almost silence, you could hear the horse moving closer to you. Feeling something land in your lap, you peeked your eyes open. Freezing in horror at the head in your lap. It belonged to one of the men. You attempted to control your shaking as you looked around for the Dullahan. He was stomping out the fire, which oddly made your arm feel better. Your fear spiked though when he turned back to you.

"P..please, let me go. I didn't do anything. I'm not supposed to die yet." You pleaded, going still when he knelt by you.

Instead of grabbing you, he took the head and put it on himself. The head twisted and groaned, before it snapped to you. The eyes now red and the teeth sharp. What you didn't expect was pity on his face.

"You shouldn't have gone through that." He answered, gently grabbing your hand to help you up, "I came as soon as I heard your screams."

"M..my screams?" You stammered, now letting the pieces click together somewhat, "You came to help me?"

"A little." He sighed, leading you around to the burnt area.

When he moved some of the remaining overgrown weeds out of the way, you saw skeleton arm sticking out of the ground against the tree. You never even knew there was a body here. Gasping, you backed up while he stood.

"Someone died here?" You gasped, making him give you a look gave you an answer, "I...I died here?"

"About a year ago." He nodded, shocking you, "The night you died, you came here to dance. It was after a rainfall, so the rocks around here were slick. You tripped and cracked your head open. Your family came to look for you. The decided to bury you here, since this was the place where you loved to dance."

Nodding, you frowned at him, "You were there the night I died then. Why didn't you, take me?"

He paused before turning to you a faint sad smile on his face, "I was going to. However, you're spirit kept dancing like there was nothing wrong. You didn't know you died. You were so happy and carefree, I just couldn't. So, I decided to watch over you until you were ready to leave."

"But, aren't you supposed to be a vengeful spirit?" You whispered, almost afraid of angering him.

"Usually, I am." He admitted, "There is something about you though that calms me. It only took me a few days to realize that you would lose your memories every day. I spent an hour every night watching you dance and sing. On the rare occasions, I could get you to dance with me. Not last night, unfortunately. I guess it was during one of those dances, I fell in love with you."

Swallowing the lump in your throat, you looked back down at your skeleton arm. Now that you know, you don't see a point in staying here for eternity. Glancing at him, you saw that he looked upset. As if he didn't want you to leave. As if he enjoyed your company. This could be the last time you get to dance.

"Thank you for saving me, Dullahan." You thanked, holding a hand to him, "Will you give me the honor of my last dance?"

A faint smile appeared on his face as he took your hand. His other arm wrapping around your waist as he led the dance. There wasn't any music, but that didn't stop him from turning you and dipping you whenever he felt like it. There was a look of happiness on his face, but he also looked like he was restraining tears. On the final turn, he picked you up and spun you around. Earning a laugh from you as he set you down.

You didn't realize ghosts could feel pain, but your chest was squeezing. You know you're going to miss him, and you can see that he's going to miss you. Wincing at the bright light that appeared off to the side, you glanced at it then back at him. Kissing him, you felt him hug you tightly.

"Thank you, Dullahan." You whispered hugging him, before pulling back and wiping some of his tears, "Hey, maybe I'll become a guardian angel and I'll see you again."

You offered the little bit of hope, which heard a choked laugh from him, "Maybe. I'll always love you, (Y/N)."

Stepping back, you gave him a grin. Even laughing when he removed his new head and bowed. Giving him a final wave, you stepped through the bright light.