20

Teamwork always slowed you down. You were always the controlling kid in group projects and always wanted things to go your way because you were afraid of your teammates to ruin everything. You found it quite funny— especially because right now, you would be considered to be in a team with Anzu. You've always disagreed with the saying "Teamwork makes the dream work", because you've always been a "lone wolf"— or so they call it.

The passing hours felt like days. It was around 4:30 PM now, and Anzu still hasn't woken up from his slumber. You wanted to wake him because you had only 30 minutes to prepare for the game. You walked up to him and shook him awake. He groaned and turned away from you, trying to fall asleep again.

"Are you coming or not?" You asked sternly, putting a hand on your hip. Immediately, Anzu sat up groggily. His hair was messed up and he had bedsheet marks all over his skin.

"I'm coming," he said with a raspy voice. He rubbed his face with his hand.

"You have 30 minutes to prepare. We're going to the King of Hearts game."

His eyes widened once he heard the word Hearts. "But.. what we're forced to kill each other?"

You placed a hand on your hip. Your expression didn't change at all, but instead it shifted to a bored one. "What? Are you saying you want to go to a spades game? Or a diamonds one? You're far too weak and dumb for those. If you don't want to go, then don't."

He hung his head low and sighed in defeat, knowing you were right. He got up and stretched himself, then he fixed his hair. He was ready to go.

—☆×☆×☆×☆—

As you were walking, Anzu kept fiddling with his fingertips. He was fidgety and visibly nervous.

You glanced at him and sighed. "I'm really not forcing you to come. Why are you insisting if you're obviously nervous?"

"I don't know.. I'm just scared of getting in danger when you're not around."

You flashed him a judgemental and quizzical look. "Are you serious? We've known each other for .. barely 24 hours."

Quietly, he smiled and looked down. "Yeah.." He nodded, "but I can't help but worry about you, too. You're really nice, you know that?"

You stood silent for a few seconds before clicking your tongue. Nice? What did he mean by that? All you've done was be harsh and short tempered with him. "Do you even know what you're talking about?"

He laughed and played with his own hair. "Of course! You're really nice. Not everyone would team up with a kid like me, you know?"

"..That behavior will only lead you to your own grave," you replied after a few seconds of silence. He was the complete opposite of you, and you couldn't help but hate him a bit because of his kindness.

All he did was turn to look at you with confusion. He decided to stay silent, but you still saw how nervous he still was. You wouldn't be surprised if you were forced to kill each other, because that's what you usually do in a Hearts game. Your minds get toyed with and eventually, you have to kill each other because of the broken trust and rage.

You hadn't noticed that you were already in front of arena. The walk felt like only a few minutes. You entered without a second, whilst Anzu looked hesitant to enter in his turn. You stopped in your steps and turned to look at him.

"If you don't want to go, then stay here and wait for me or go back," you said, slightly annoyed by how hesitant he was being.

He shook his head and immediately took two steps over to you. "I'm sorry, I'm just scared of you getting hurt."

You raised an eyebrow at his sentence. "Worry about yourself. Don't hesitate to run away if you're facing danger in the game."

He beamed a smile and nodded. He seemed to still have that kid-like energy within him. You both entered the waiting room and took a phone to begin the facial recognition.

FACIAL RECOGNITION IN PROGRESS...
SUCCESSFULLY REGISTERED. PLEASE WAIT FOR THE GAME RULES TO BE STATED.

Anzu took a deep breath. He was extremely nervous, knowing the game would start any time soon. You got down and stretched.

REGISTRATION HAS CLOSED. THE GAME WILL COMMENCE SHORTLY.
DIFFICULTY: KING OF HEARTS.
GAME: ESCAPE.

"..huh?" Anzu muttered out, his eyes widening slightly upon hearing the game title.

RULES:
A BEAST IS HIDING WITHIN THE SHADOWS OF THE VENUE. IT WILL ROAR OCCASIONALLY.
THERE IS A PLAYER AMONGST YOU WHO IS THE KING OF HEARTS.

CLEAR CONDITION:
ESCAPE THE BEAST.
ESCAPE THE VENUE.
FIND OUT WHO THE KING OF HEARTS IS.

TIME LIMIT: 5 HOURS.

You heard murmuring and speaking in between the players that registered to the game.

"S..so we don't have to kill each other after all?" Anzu said, smiling out of relief.

"That's not exactly the case," you replied, placing your phone in your pocket, "but there's going to be severe trust issues in between us all."

"What do you mean...?"

"Anyone could be the King of Hearts. Even you. Or me."

Anzu flinched as he heard an elevator door chime open. Next to the elevator, there was a glowing sign saying "ENTER". You figured it was to take you to the game destination, so you entered it. Anzu scurried behind you, paranoid.

For the few seconds that you were in the elevator, he clung onto you like a leech. You sighed, deciding to ignore it because it would soothe him to cling onto you.

You immediately got out of the elevator once the door opened and you were met a dark, abandoned building. There were only a few lights that illumined the tight corridors. They flickered from time to time.

Anzu shrieked when you heard "the beast" roaring from a distance. Everyone started panicking and going into random directions, except for you. You stood still with an indifferent face with Anzu clinging onto your back, scared for his life.

You sighed and began walking, not caring that Anzu is still on your back.

"This.. is going to be one hell of a game."

Thank you for reading Sudden Interest!