41

In the wilderness, any prayers go unheard. Those who are easily overtaken or dominated by their fears will eagerly maintain a different and hollow version of themselves, a meaningless reality. A human's heart is subject to change, as the body and mind will constantly evolve— but the train of thought and process of actions sometimes never change. Most people simply don't learn their lessons, even after many times someone could teach them.

The elderly woman let out a puff of smoke before scoffing. "What a bunch of good-for-nothings."

"Overconfident, arrogant, deceitful, always thinking of kicking others down..."

Her stare was reduced into a glare as she set her eyes on the Jack. "Each and every self proclaimed master..is a good-for-nothing."

"You make it sound like you've got some experience." The Jack uttered lowly.

"Yeah." She scoffed, closing her eyes. "The absolute sleaziest trick master I knew..."

"Was my idiotic late husband." She opened her eyes. "Always so full of himself. Everything that came out of his mouth was a brag. The lies of that man smothered him in debt and women...I don't know why I stuck with him for so long."

"After that idiot died, I arrived in the borderlands...and thought of myself purified from even his debts."

She grit her teeth.

"And yet here I am, trapped and having to spend a night with a character I hate the most."

"..That too," the Jack said, after a few seconds of silence, "will end soon, thanks to me."

You stared at the Jack for a second before smiling mockingly. "Oh~, I forgot to say something."

"That thing you showed us," you pointed at the Jack, then towards his hand, "with the cards disappearing and reappearing.."

"If you could do that, you would be able to palm any card you like." You rested your chin on your hand. "So what if, let's say, you hid one or two cards inside your jacket sleeve?"

"..."

The Jack stood silent for a few seconds, and you could've sworn that you saw his eyes widen by the slightest. He let out a scoff, smirking before looking up to you. "I was wondering what you were about to say. Always the most irrelevant stuff that come out your mouth."

"So what?" He uttered as he distributed the cards. "Are you going to conduct a body research on me? In this moment, maybe I just returned a sleeve card to the deck?"

"Nice. Why not make a bet with me?" You smiled at him, pointing at your own sleeve to demonstrate. "There's a card left in your sleeve. Yes or No?"

Amon grit his teeth, furrowing his brows in anger. "This is stupid. This far into the game..."

He slammed the table in a fit of rage. "This is pointless! There's no time!"

You waved at the elderly woman. "Old lady!" You smiled nonchalantly at her. "You want in?"

She looked at you with confusion in her eyes, asking for context.

"Is there a card in his sleeve or not? Which do you think?" You asked, tilting your head slightly, curious for her answer.

Her eyes widened in surprise by your question, though she quickly recovered and exhaled an air of smoke. "Good grief. What an unpleasant role."