48

Behind every victory is a long train of suffering. Sometimes, the taste of victory is fully bitter. Not even a single feeling of justice or happiness through the thick layers of pain and suffering in order to get the win. At the other end of the river lies an island, a dream come true— but it is simply out of reach.

Fireworks.

You woke up to the sound of fireworks. You blinked yourself awake, feeling someone tap your cheek twice.

You looked around. "What? What happened?" You asked in a groggy tone.

"I'm not sure," Chishiya responded, "but don't you remember seeing fireworks before you also ended up in here?"

"Oh.." your eyes widened in surprise, "yeah, actually, I do."

You looked up at the sky. "I'm guessing Arisu and Usagi cleared it?"

"That would be the only explanation to this, I guess."

GAME CLEAR.

"Oh," you hummed and smiled at the fireworks.

CONGRATULATIONS,

You heard the A.I's robotic voice echo throughout the whole Borderlands.

WITH THIS RECENT EVENT, ALL OF THE GAMES HAVE BEEN CLEARED.

Your eyes flickered in shock. You knew it was coming— but, somehow, you were still shocked that this was truly happening.

ALL THE SURVIVING PLAYERS, PLEASE INDIVIDUALLY ANSWER THE FOLLOWING QUESTION:

FROM NOW ON UNTIL FOREVER, YOU HAVE THE CHOICE TO CONTINUE PLAYING THESE GAMES AS A CITIZEN OF THE BORDERLANDS IN THE NEXT GAMES WITH PERMANENT RESIDENCY. YOU MAY ACCEPT, OR DECLINE THIS POSITION.

WILL YOU ACCEPT, OR DECLINE?

"So, the current citizens stood here at their own will," you thought to yourself.

You hesitated as the A.I's question echoed across the Borderlands. You really didn't understand the concept of life, nor were you interested in it. You and Chishiya stood silent for a minute— which felt like an eternity. You didn't know which one to choose, but in the end, you let your heart decide.

"..I think I'll decline," you replied hesitantly, breaking the silence.

"I decline as well," Chishiya responded right after you in a quiet tone, "I guess."

He also seemed hesitant, just like you. He looked up at the fireworks that never seemed to end, and the corners of his lips curled up into his signature smirk.

"I guess we're going back together, huh?"

Your face broke down into a soft smile. "Yeah."

You looked over to Niragi. "What about you?"

"Ah, fuck that," Niragi mumbled, "I'm getting tired of these death games. I'm not gonna accept. I refuse."

"At least you still have some sanity left in you," you chuckled.

You held Chishiya's hand, and before you knew it, your vision was overcame with a bright whiteness.