SEVENTEEN

THE BOY still sat in the chair

THE BOY still sat in the chair. Nolan only allowed him to get untied if he had to to use the restroom but that was pretty much it. Every passing second he felt himself get dizzier due to blood loss.
His tired eyes looked up at the man who walked in. Of course it was Nolan. Not a shocker to Vance. "Hey kid, I was just wondering, would you like a haircut?" Vance's eyes immediately widened at that.

"Hell no! Don't take another step towards me." He snapped but Nolan just kept going forward. "Well the police can't know who you are." The man replied, pulling out his dagger.
Vance tugged and tugged more than he had the entire time he had been there. His wrists felt like they were on fire but he so badly didn't want his hair cut.

"The police don't need to see me to know who I am, trust me. The entire Denver police department knows who I am. Plus every single Colorado police department there is. It won't even matter." He tried to reason, desperately trying to keep his hair.

"I don't care. It'll make you suffer more. That's all I need." Nolan grinned. He got behind the chair, yanking a fistful of his hair into his hand. Vance kept moving but Nolan just kept pulling tighter.
He brought the blade up, cutting his curls off. Vance could feel tears welling up. Not only because the one thing he loved about himself was getting cut off but also because he couldn't stop it.

His whole life, if something didn't sit right with him he'd put up a fight for it. But this time he couldn't.
The boy felt hopeless just sitting there, letting a wicked man cut his hair off. Even worse, his mother was doing nothing to stop it.

After a few minutes, the boy could no longer feel the hair against his neck. The boy looked at the ground where all his hair now was, staring at it with sorrow.
       "You underestimate me, don't you?" Nolan asked, standing in front of him again. "No. I know you'd go as far as killing someone because something didn't go your way. Sick man." The younger boy snapped back, any signs of tears disappearing.

Nolan scoffed. "I thought cutting your hair off would make you stop talking." Vance clenched his jaw. "Well you thought wrong. It's just a bit of hair, it'll grow back." He spoke angrily. Nolan just shrugged, leaving the building.

And there he was again. Sitting in a cold, dark room. Alone.

~~~

The seven of them finally made it to where Colby was telling them about. They went around back so they wouldn't be caught.
      "Okay they have dogs and this place is practically a battle zone. So, we gotta be careful." Colby told them, getting out of the car.

"Give me a gun." Mandy demanded. Colby looked at her like she had gone crazy. "It's not fair that you're the only one armed." He sighed before giving her one.
   "We're running out of daylight. We've gotta make this fast." Baylen mumbled, slipping through a hole in the chain link fence.

The others followed, Sadie's arm getting cut on a piece of wire. "Shit!" She yelled, grabbing it. Everyone turned to her with their fingers over their mouths. "Sorry. Sorry." She apologized.
Blue saw the red drip through her fingers. She looked down at her shirt, ripping a piece off before quickly wrapping it around her arm.

"Y'all, I can't do this. I'm on crutches." Mason protested, stopping. "Then go wait in the car." Sadie snapped back, going in front of everyone. They all looked at the blonde.

She stopped once she realized no one was following her. "This is going to stop. Even if I have to do it by myself." She said, looking at all of them.
        "But you could get killed." Noah explained. Mason tensed at that. "Yeah, but it would be for a good cause. I love Vance like a brother and I'll go through hell and back for him." She felt tears welling up.

"Mason, I understand you're hurt so if you want to wait, by all means do so. I'm going to get him." She spoke again, pushing her emotions down.
       "I'm going with Sadie." Blue said and everyone agreed except Mason. "Okay, fine. I'll go but if I fall one of you has to carry me." "Deal." Both Colby and Noah said at the same time.

They continued their way around the shacks until a tower-like building caught their eye. "I'm going up there. Blue, Colby, and Noah, with me." Mandy instructed.
    "Sadie, Baylen, and Mason, go find Vance." They all nodded, splitting up.

Colby was in front, knowing his way around the place from working for Nolan at one point. They managed to sneak inside the building, noticing a large staircase.

They snuck their way up, looking for any potential harm. "Clear." Colby said, running down a hallway. They ran into a room before deciding they needed a plan.
         Blue nodded her head at her mothers request. "Trust me. I'll be fine." The younger girl looked at Noah and he nodded.

They went back out, going to the very top where they assumed Nolan's office would be. They ran in, Colby and Mandy holding up their guns.
    Nolan stood at the window, a drink in his hand before turning around. "Glad you could make it." He smiled. "Yeah tell us where the hell Vance is." Blue seethed.

"I'm afraid I can't do that. But-." "I need to talk to you." Mandy told him, lowering her weapon. "And what is that?" He asked. The woman put on a soft look, slowly walking to him with her hands up before standing by the window.

The two began talking and that's when the unexpected happened. Nolan pushed Mandy a little, making her fall back and out the window.
     The others acted surprised, Blue putting on her best acting. "Mom!" She screamed, pretending to be sad. "Looks like another ones down. Who's next?" Nolan asked with a psychotic grin.

That's when his eyes finally landed on Colby. "Colby?" He laughed. "I knew I shouldn't have trusted you." The man scoffed. "You're right. You shouldn't have. But its in the past now." Colby replied with a sarcastic smile.
      Colby fired his gun, grazing Nolan's shoulder. "Run." He whispered to Noah and Blue. The three of them took off running while Nolan shouted and ran after them.

"You'll regret that!" He yelled but they were already running down the stairs. Noah almost fell but caught himself. "Great going back there!" Blue yelled at Colby halfway sarcastic.
   "Can we celebrate after?!" Noah yelled as they ran outside. "There they are!" Some guards yelled, pointing at them.

"Shit!" Blue cursed, running in a random direction. "They can't get us all." Colby whispered, parting from the two. Noah ran a different way to, giving the others time to find Vance.

~~~

A/N: cliffhanger 🤭
Comment and vote x