THIRTY SEVEN

BLUE WOKE up extra early because she knew it was Christmas

BLUE WOKE up extra early because she knew it was Christmas. "Vance." She said, shaking him. He didn't budge. "Vance." She said louder, shaking his arm. He moved a little, tightening his grip on her waist.

She sighed, removing his arm and sitting on his stomach. "Vance." She tried again, lightly slapping his face. His head moved and he groaned, running a hand over his face.
Blue smiled at him when he opened his eyes. "Merry Christmas." She said, getting off of him and laying beside him.

He said it back before closing his eyes again. "No, you have to get up." She said, sitting up again. Vance just looked at her. "It's too early." He mumbled. "It's 9:00am." She replied, getting up.

She stayed in her pajamas, (just a sweatshirt and sweatpants) but brushed her hair and her teeth. Vance finally got up, following Blue downstairs.
Colby and Mandy were drinking coffee at the table, turning their heads towards the two. All of a sudden they heard running coming from the stairs.

"Presents!" Mason shouted, jumping off of the stairs and running into the living room. Sadie followed, laughing along the way. Blue and Vance smiled going over to them.
Colby and Mandy followed. Colby placed a vinyl on their record player. Soft Christmas music sounded, some background noise to drown out the silence.

"Okay, this is for Blue." Mason announced, handing her the gift. She smiled, pulling back the wrapping paper. Inside was a new radio. "Oh my, thank you so much!" She said, giving Sadie a hug.

They all opened their presents, grateful for every single one of them. "Here, open mine." Vance said, handing Blue a small gift.
She took it, untying the bow with delicacy. It was wrapped pretty terribly but she knew she couldn't do any better.

In the small box was a necklace. It was a small sword with tiny blue jewels running down the center. Blues smile dropped and she felt her heart beat fasten.
It had so much meaning and Blue knew that. "Because you are a warrior." Vance stated. Blue looked at him, admiration in her eyes.

"Thank you." Was all she could say, taking the necklace out of the box. She gave it to him, turning and lifting her hair up. He smiled once she put her hair back down, turning to him.

She pecked his lips before smiling again. They returned to the others, watching as Mandy opened a gift. After she was done, Blue handed Vance his present.
            Inside was a ring. It was simple. A round silver ring but on the inside, it had his name. He smiled, putting it on his ring finger. "Thank you."

A few moments later, they were done. Everyone was so grateful for their presents and couldn't wait to put most of them to good use. "Wait." Mason said, pulling out a present from behind the tree.

"We missed one and it's too... me." He smiled. Mandy, Blue, and Sadie were waiting for this. Mason took off the top of the box, revealing the surprise.
         He picked it up. "Pregnant." He read quietly. The girls were impatiently waiting for his reaction. He looked at Sadie, waiting for actual confirmation.

She nodded. Mason threw the box and test on the ground, picking Sadie up and spinning her. Vance's eyes were wide and Colby was smiling.
           "Holy shit! I'm gonna be a father!" Mason shouted. They all hugged Mason and Sadie, congratulating them.

"Thank God I can finally talk about it." Blue sighed in relief. "It was killing me that I couldn't." She laughed. Mason ruffled her hair. "Well ya can now." He smiled.

~~~

"I should probably grab some more clothes from home." Vance admitted, blowing bubbles in his hot chocolate. "Want me to come with?" Blue asked. He nodded.
        The two got on warmer clothes and their boots, heading out the door. They walked in the snow, shivering from the cold.

They finally made it. There wasn't a single car in the driveway which made Vance relax. He didn't want to face his parents yet.

The boy walked up the porch. "You can come in if you want, I'll only be a minute." Blue just decided to wait outside.
       Vance walked in, noticing a note on the table when he walked passed it. He picked it up.

If you come home and read this, Merry Christmas.

That was it. No, 'please come home so we can talk.' No, 'we're sorry and want to change.' A simple ordinary Merry Christmas. They couldn't even tell it to his face.

He angrily crumbled the paper, throwing it into the trash. He went to his room, throwing things into his bag. Once he was done, he went back outside, slamming the front door behind him.

Blue noticed his switch in mood. "You okay?" He didn't reply and instead walked passed her. "What the hell?" She asked, following him.
           She struggled keeping up with him, falling behind on multiple occasions. "Stop walking." She panted.

He stopped, turning around. "What?" He snapped. "What the hell happened in there?" She asked confused. "Nothing." He answered but Blue knew he was lying.
          "Vance, tell me the truth." The boy sighed, running a cold hand over his face. "Fine. Mom or dad left me a note saying Merry Christmas." He explained.

Blue was confused. "I just wish they would've apologized or something." He shrugged, zipping up his jacket. That made a lot more sense. "Oh Vance, I'm so sorry." She said, looking at the ground before back at him.

"It's fine. You're not the one who needs to be sorry." He said, grabbing her hand. The two didn't speak about it again and just went back to Blues house.

Vance kept her close as they walked, the body heat making them warmer. Blue had been thinking about Baylen recently and decided she'd visit his grave.
Before Blue could turn to tell Vance, a car with tinted windows passed them. Out of instinct, Vance pulled her closer. Something about it didn't feel right.

They shrugged it off before Blue spoke. "I'm gonna visit Baylen if you want to come." She gave a sad smile, pulling away from him and looking up at him.
He decided to go with.

When they arrived, Vance decided to stay at the entrance. He let her have alone time to mourn.

Blue sat down in front of Baylens head stone, looking down and trying not to cry. "Hey Bay." She sighed out, her breath shaky.
"I miss you. Like a lot. I know nothing I say will make you come back but I'd rather pretend you can hear me." She said, looking up at the snow falling.

"Merry Christmas." She smiled sadly, running a hand over his name. "Sadie just told everyone she's pregnant." She let out a sad laugh. "Soon enough there's gonna be a little Sadie running around."
"If you were still here you'd probably tell me to stop myself before I could yell at it." She let out another sad laugh, this time a tear slid down her face and the breath in her throat got caught.

"I know you would've been a great brother to it." Blue let out, wiping the tears with her freezing cold hands. "Vance is the best boyfriend ever and I'm sure you already know that." Blue tried blinking away her tears but they just kept pouring.

"I really miss you. I'm also pretty sure mom and Colby are going to get together soon. Colby's the guy we met. I so badly wish you could've gotten to know him better." She cried, trying to stay quiet so Vance didn't hear her.

"I brought you a present." She said, pulling out her favorite necklace, apart from the one Vance had given her just that day.
"You deserve it more than I do." She said, hanging it over the grave stone. "I love you and Merry Christ-." Before she could even finish her sentence, Vance rushed over.

She quickly stood up, dusting the snow off of her. He stood in front of her, breathing heavily as she saw his nose bleeding.

"They're here."

A/N: it's the beginning of summer. Don't know why I'm writing winter scenes but it's okay 😃
Comment and vote x