Human Anatomy

My head rested in my hand trying my hardest to pay attention to my Human Anatomy professor's lecture but all of his words were going in one ear and out the other. Anatomy was my favorite subject but somehow Trimmings sure knew how to make it boring. Luckily, there was only a few minutes left in class, before I was free from this hell hole of a school.

My phone that sat in my lap vibrated, causing me to look down as discreetly as possible to not get caught. Prof. Trimmings was a stickler for the rules and phone use was the biggest no no, if I got caught there was no doubt I was going to be in detention for the rest of my life, regardless of how much he loved me as a student.

"Toya's after school?" I read the message from the group chat with my best friends. As if right on cue the school dismissal bell rung, making the once quiet room fill with noise and chatter of students getting up and collecting their things. As I gathered mine, Prof. Trimmings walked up to my desk with a smile plastered on his face. "Ms. Parker, do you mind staying after for a few minutes? I have a tutoring opportunity for you. The student will be here in just a moment."

"Sure, of course." I smiled back, sitting back down behind my desk and texting her girls letting them know I would be late. I signed up to be a tutor a couple of weeks ago because I needed the volunteer hours. However, no one ever reached out so I thought my services weren't needed.

After a few minutes, to my dismay an all too familiar figure made their way into the class room, making the pit of my stomach drop.

Please, please, please don't let this be who i'm tutoring.

"Glad you could make it before practice Mr.Ball. This is Nicole Parker, she will be your tutor for the rest of the semester. She's the best in your class, so I expect your grades to be up very soon."

The boy turned over his shoulder, making eye contact with me, while letting a slightly awkward smile form across his face. You see, Melo and I used to have a thing a couple of months prior when he first transferred to USC, but once basketball season started and all the groupies realized he was the next big thing he took that new found clout and forgot all about me. And to make matters worse he got with Kimberly Parker. The most vein and arrogant bitch in the whole state of California, and let's not forget to mention, my cousin.

"I'll leave you two to exchange contact information." Prof. Trimmings walked off.

"I gotta head to practice. You still got my number right?"

"No." I lied, I most definitely had his number saved under 'TheWorst' in my phone, but I didn't need him to think he still held value in my life.

He looked me up and down, as if he didn't believe me but chose not to push the issue. "I'mma text you when I get out of practice, you can come over tonight."

- 𝚑𝚞𝚖𝚊𝚗 𝚊𝚗𝚊𝚝𝚘𝚖𝚢 -

"Took you long enough." Melo smiled, locking his phone and sliding it into his sweatpants, watching as I finally walked into his room. "What were you doing?"

"I didn't realize your dorm was this far from mine." I sat on the opposite end of his bed, pulling out our human anatomy textbook along with some flash cards and a highlighter, preparing to quiz him.

- 𝚑𝚞𝚖𝚊𝚗 𝚊𝚗𝚊𝚝𝚘𝚖𝚢 -

"I don't see how you know all of this shit." He sighed shoving his head in his hands "I gotta pass this test Friday, but there's no way I can learn this boring ass shit by then."

"How bout we make it into a game." I suggested, getting up to grab the mini basketball from the corner of the room. "Every time you get a question right, you can shoot the ball. If you make it you get a point."