SECRET REVEALED(1)

My gaze flickered around the uninviting wood as I struggled desperately to hold on to my sanity.

I was certain I didn't imagine what I had seen back there. The painful bruise that was now forming on the back of my hand as I had grazed it on the rough wall was a reminder I didn't imagine it.

I panted as I rested my body on one of the tree trunks present. I hadn't even thought of running back to the house, which was just a few seconds away, because I was so desperate to flee and had forgotten.

My head pounded, as well as my heart, as I thought of the baby I had left alone in the basement.

Aiden was surely going to kill me for putting his daughter in danger, and perhaps I might lose the job again because of my inability to care for her.

If only I had minded my business and left the whining sound alone.

As this saying goes, ‘Curiosity killed the cat.’ I was curious, and who knows what would happen to me? Perhaps I would end up like the cat.

I lurched, and my heart raced as I heard a twig snap near me.

“No, please, no…” I whimpered as I heard a growl.

The thought of what would become of me in the next few moments ran through my mind. I wondered if they would find my body the next morning. Or maybe nothing would be left of me, or maybe only my bones.

The image of my bone appearing like the one I saw before almost made me throw up. I took in two deep breaths as I glanced around frantically.

“If only I had gone to the kitchen to make whatever was available, I wouldn't be in this dilemma.” I berated myself silently.

The growl sounded yet again, and I could sense it prowling towards me.

Slowly, I turned, and my gaze fixated on the beast. However, this was different from the one I saw earlier.

This was as dark as night. Its white teeth gleamed in the moonlight, and the red eyes glared daggers at me.

My feet got stuck in the ground as if they glued them to it. Running wasn't even an option because it would be a wrong move, and the monster would tear me into pieces instantly.

Still, my stalling would do me more harm than good, as it didn't look as if it would back down soon.

Suddenly, it leapt into the air. My breath hitched, and my eyes went wide. If only I could shout to make Aiden hear wherever he was and come to my rescue.

Nonetheless, I tried to scream, but all that escaped my mouth was a raspy sound. I didn't hear my voice, nor could I feel my body.

A grunt sounded, snapping me out of my thoughts. I gasped out as I noticed another wolf, which was the one I saw earlier.

It stood in front of me and let out a low growl. The other wolf came at it, and it did the same as they battled together, slashing paws at each other's bodies and yanking off furs with teeth.

Stunned, I continued watching. The brown wolf that had come to perhaps defend me was gaining the upper hand.

The black wolf yelped, and it staggered. Blood pooled around the skin, yet it didn't give up.

After a few minutes, it surrenders to the stiff hand of death as the brown wolf sinks its teeth into the neck, yanking its head off.

My gaze widened as it shifted. My heart banged wildly in my chest as I saw who was crouched on the floor. I averted my gaze as he was naked.

“No…” I muttered, trembling, while trying to comprehend what had happened.

“Hey, are you okay?”

Should I be? I wondered to myself. After seeing what had happened tonight, I was not sure that I would ever be.

Aiden was a freaking wolf… A freaking enormous werewolf.

This revelation confirmed everything the locals had been saying. It wasn't a rumour; after all, it was freaking real.

I flinched as his warm hand came out to touch me. He retracted it and stared at me.

“Are you alright?”

He sounded concerned, and I wondered how he would have felt if I was bitten or dead.

“I don't know, I want to go home,” I lurched as he attempted to come close to me again.

Hurt flashed through his eyes, but he said nothing.

He sighed, then led the way. The walk back to his house was silent, and I kept glancing around to see if another creature would appear.

As soon as we stepped into the living room, I breathed out deeply and gazed at him.

“I meant, I want to go back to Renee, to my friend,” I said.

“You are not going anywhere.” He stated calmly, as if afraid he would lose his temper if he spoke a little louder.

“You can't tell me to stay here. I don't know you; I don't know what you are. Likewise, I don't know if I will be your next prey. Please, just let me go in peace.” I didn't realize I was crying until I tasted the saltiness of the tears.

“Shut up! I don't want to lose my temper here.” He pinched the bridge of his nose before exhaling slowly. His broad shoulder moved with each breath he took.

“Why are you detaining me here? Do you want to kill me? Who are you?”

“So many questions in a sentence.” He tutted, chuckling.

“Just tell me who you are, and why are you keeping me here? I want to freaking know!”

Aiden stared at me with uncertainty before stepping toward me.

I scurried back, slamming into the door.

He pushed me to it violently, and I winced in pain at the force. His eyes flickered from the blue it was to a golden yellow, and a fang appeared in place of his canine.

I shrieked as he continued to press his elbow into my neck.

“This is me, sweetness, and you are fated to be with me. Don't forget that you are to be my Luna!”

“Why did you leave the safety of the house to endanger yourself?” “You foolish woman!”

I landed on the cold, tiled floor with a thud as he flung me across the room.

“Tell me, why did you fucking leave!?”

He stormed towards me and gripped my neck tightly. Tears fell freely from my eyes as I choked on my spittle.

I felt my throat burning up, my body, from my feet to my fingertips, burning. It wasn't because I couldn't breathe; rather, it was the opposite.

My hand shot out, and Aiden released his hold on me. He gripped his head with both his hands as he moaned out in pain.

However, it didn't last long, as I felt my vision clouded. The last thing I heard was Aiden shouting my name before I slipped into unconsciousness.