RESCUED

AIDEN

I jerked as I felt a twinge on my left side. It was as if someone was tugging at my flesh. Groaning, I clutched my palpitating heart while leaning on the round table for support.

“What's wrong?” Liam questioned with a raised eyebrow whilst Kellen and Maya sidled to my side.

Sparkles lifted her gaze from her phone to meet mine. Her inquisitive ultramarine orbs stayed on mine for a few seconds before glancing back at her phone.

“I'm fine,” I grunted, then beckoned to her to proceed.

“If you say so,” Ellen muttered, still watching me from where she stood at the centre of the room. “The number of casualties is increasing every day. Also, Mark told me he noticed some humans walking around the territory with weird tattoos on their skins.”

I lifted a brow, and she shrugged her shoulders before continuing.

“The locals are filled with a lot of rumours lately.”

“Rumours about?” I let out while five pairs of eyes with different hues gazed at me as if I was dumb, perhaps since my mind has been off lately.

It had been centred mostly on how I could get Elena and nothing else. Not only because of her, but it was also mostly because of J.J.'s reappearance and how strong he had become.

The reason I was an Alpha and the love I have for my packs all became meaningless as I realized how lacking I was when it came to strength.

All my thoughts these days were on how to defeat him whenever he confronted me again. Yet, I couldn't do that without a plan since Elena's life was at stake, too.

Ellen's voice severed the connection I had with my thoughts.

“Geez, Aiden, what have you been doing with your head that you can't even pick up on anything going on around you? Even under your freaking nose!” She shoved her hands into her sleek blonde hair.

“His head has been in Elena's arse lately.” Sparkles chimed in, giggling. She flicked a strand of her brown hair off her face while glaring back at me.

“That's the truth.” She let out.

“Well, I guessed I have a life, and I don't need to be so hung up on things that are not beneficial.” I rasped.

“That's a low blow, Aiden.” Maya tsked, shaking her head.

“Even though I'm not a werewolf, I love everyone here and would do anything in my power to protect them. Also, I would like to admit you've been oblivious to everything going around. Moreover, you're asserting we are not beneficial to you pisses me off!” She contorted her face in a scowl.

Her almond-brown eyes did the weird flashes they often do whenever she was mad. They became lighter a bit before they went back to their natural colour.

Perhaps I should not have said they weren't beneficial, but I couldn't take my words back. Even I didn't know what was wrong with me, as I had never been this hung up on a woman before.

Not even the first time I had sighted Sienna. She was the most beautiful woman at the ball. Her bright smile and granite grey eyes were the only things I could think of as her willowy structure strutted towards me in the yellow gossamer gown that showed off her ample chest and creamy legs. Yet, I didn't stalk or try to control her this way.

What I felt for Elena was a different kind of affection, a unique bond that seems to get stronger each time we come in contact.

“You have a life now? Even when you were with Sienna, you never behaved this shitty!”