RELEASE

AIDEN

“Get a hold of yourself, Sparkles, and stop blaming Elena for this because she did nothing wrong. Ever since she came into this house, I don't know the reason you loathe her so much." I chided, staring at an enraged Sparkles who looked as though she would rip Elena's head off if she were here.
”She caused this!” Her first clenched as she yammered.
“She didn't!” I thundered. I pinched the bridge of my nose as I tried to calm my nerves.
“Before this, ” I stated calmly, my eyes still on her. “You've always been mad at her. I saw the stunt you pulled on her at the founder's ball; I decided to let it slide. This is so unlike you, and you need to apologize to her.”
Sparkles jutted her chin out, a pair of aquamarine orbs fixated on mine defiantly, and she gritted her teeth, “I'll rather pummel her pretty face than apologize.”
I let out a deep breath while shaking my head at her hardheadedness. I knew it wasn't going to be this easy to get her to apologize. But I knew she would do it eventually since she was only mad right now.
More so, I understood Sparkles better than anyone. She was only envious of Elena.
I had seen the flash in her eyes whenever the latter was near. However, I didn't know the reason she was having that feeling.
“I'm so confused right now,” Ellen muttered as she stepped into the room. “The abductor left no note. How are we going to get Gemma back?”
She paced, then halted in the middle of the room and resumed with her index finger tapping her chin.
My phone screeched as I was about to reply, and I swiped at the screen to see an unknown number on it.
My brows furrowed as I continued staring at my phone; my thumb lingered on the answer button as I contemplated whether to reject the call or not.
However, I did the latter and glued it to my ear, “Hello?”
A frown was etched on my face when I heard a rustling sound at the other end. My ears perked up as I heard a faint whimper in the background.
That was Gemma's cry!
I could recognize it anytime, even if I were in a deep slumber. My heart palpitated as I thought of what could be going on with her.
“Hello!" I barked into the phone, but I received no answer.
“Listen, ” A deep voice breathed on the other line. “I won't stay long.”
“Who are you?” I interrupted, my heart hammering in my chest as I heard the cry once more.
“You can come for your daughter, or she'll freeze to death.” He stated, then hung up.
Stunned, my hands trembled as I set my phone on the white coffee table at the centre of the room.
“Who was that?" Ellen murmured with a scowl on her face.
“Gemma's abductor. They told me to come for her.” I explained.
“Wow, that's great news. Also, I think Mom is coming awake now." She grinned.
“That is right," I affirmed because I saw her hand twitch some minutes ago.
I darted out of the room without another word.
I was barely five minutes away from the house when I heard Gemma's wail. She was still wrapped in her pink shawl, and I grabbed her while searching for any mark on her body. I emitted a sigh as I found none.
Her sobs subdued, and she let out a giggle as soon as she felt my touch. Her tiny hand lifted to touch my cheeks, and I saw the mischievous twinkles in her eyes when she gripped my hair.
“Still as mischievous as ever, huh?” I chuckled.
I proceeded to the house with a giggling Gemma.
“Elena!” I called out immediately and stepped into the room we shared.
I had bumped into my mother before while on the way, and she had taken Gemma from me. Also, she had vowed to watch her closely.
Furthermore, I hurried into the room I shared with Elena after she told me they couldn't find her.
It sounded absurd since I had left her in the house.
I thought of what could have happened that made her leave and I remembered the argument she had with Sparkles and how she had left the room in a hurry. I never suspected anything.
Even when I received the call about them releasing Gemma, I should have known Elena had been captured. I should have known she was the target all along.
Gemma was just the bait for her to come out.
“Elena!” I tried again while checking all the empty rooms in the house. I went further to search for her in the cupboard, which should have been hilarious if I was in the right state of mind.
“Ugh!” I groaned, tugging at my disheveled hair.
“You should be happy. At least she left by herself.” Sparkles chirped in while burping Gemma.
“That is so insensitive of you. Why do you hate her so much?” Ellen queried with a grimace on her face.
“Is that what it looks like? Everyone keeps asking me the same thing!” Sparkles shouted.
“That is what it looks like. You do hate her. Ever since she came into the house, she has been nice to you and everyone.” Ellen retorted.
“I don't hate her.” Sparkles sneered. “And, excuse me.”
She bumped into Ellen's shoulder and left the room.
I shook my head when Ellen attempted to pull her back. “Let her be,” I mumbled.
My phone buzzed, and a number like the one I had answered earlier flashed on the screen. I placed the bourbon I had taken from the wine shelf on the table.
“Well, well, ” the voice chuckled.
My blood turned cold as I heard the voice on the other end.
“Finally, I got my hands on her tiny neck. I must say she is the loveliest creature I have ever seen.” He paused.
“No wonder you were trying everything to protect her, and I can't wait to see what she has to offer me.” He chuckled.
Elena's shrieking in the background resonated in my head, and I didn't know when I clutched the bottle of wine and flung it at the door.
“Geez, be careful, Aiden!” Ellen exclaimed.
“Please, don't hurt her. I would do anything you want.” I pleaded.
I wanted to be angry; I wanted to break necks and pluck out hearts, but I couldn't. Elena was in captivity, and I wonder what would happen if I said the wrong thing now.
“Oh no! The mighty Aiden is begging me? This looks unbelievable."
“Aiden, it hurts. Please, help me." Elena sobbed.
It shatters my heart to hear her pain-filled voice. “Elena, I'm coming for you," I said as she screamed yet again.
“You hear her beautiful voice?” Jensen inquired, and I imagined the infamous smirk he often wore on his angular face.
“What are you doing to her? I swear with my life, I'll kill you if you freaking touch a hair on her. I'll kill all of you.” I vowed.
“Back to threats now?” He tsked. “You know that never gets us anywhere.”
Jensen paused for a while, then continued, “By the way, you said you would do anything to get her back?"
“Yes!” I exclaimed, then tugged my hair in frustration.
“Too bad, Aiden,” He tutted. “I'm afraid it's too late. I got no substitution for her. She needs to die as I promised, but it will be a slow process.” He chuckled before hanging up.
I hurled my phone across the room, and it clattered to the floor. My vision dimmed, and I didn't know I was crying until I tasted the saltiness of the tears.
“What happened?” Ellen asked as she ceased pacing.
“He got her, Ellen. J.J. got her.” I wailed, and my heart clenched with each tear.
“Dang it!" She exclaimed while running her hands into her hair.
“What are we going to do? Any clue on how to get her back?”
“No, he promised to kill her. I can't think straight anymore.” I covered my face with my hands, and my body continued to jerk with sobs.
I had never cried this way, not even when I saw Sienna in the pool of her blood. The thought of Elena going through the same pain was overwhelming.
“Calm down, Aiden. Take a deep, slow breath. Elena will be fine, and you too." Ellen instructed as she stepped towards me.
*************
Sparkles had darted out of the room when she heard the wine bottle shatter; she had waited for Aiden to finish what he was saying to ask what was going on.
However, she knew it would not be a piece of good news since he was sobbing. She hadn't seen her brother this heartbroken, not even when Sienna died.
The siblings- Sparkles and Ellen- stared at their older brother with concern as he kept on tugging at his hair.
This usually happens whenever he is frustrated and if they don't stop him, he may switch to the other side, which could be worse.
He wouldn't only make decisions that would harm him but everyone around him.
Ellen stepped backwards when she noticed the change in his demeanour. Aiden let out a low growl, and his eyes flashed red. She saw him bare his teeth, and he winced as his tendons popped.
“Aiden, don't do this to yourself!" Sparkles yelled, tears welling in her eyes. She felt very awful since it was because of her. Elena had left the safety of the house.
~If I hadn't been nasty to her, she wouldn't have left, she thought to herself.
Sparkles had sensed when she left the house but didn't stop her since she was too angry with her at that moment.
Though Elena hadn't done anything to her, as Aiden implied, she was an easy target.
Secretly, Sparkles desired to be a human, someone who could go out and be in a large social gathering without the feeling of wanting to feed on each one because their blood smelled so nice and not the monster she was.
She had no choice in choosing how she turned out as she was born this way. Yet, the thought of Elena coming out perfect, even though she was a supernatural being herself, infuriates her.
“He can't hear you, Sparkles,” Ellen mumbled.
Sparkle's brows creased as she stared at Ellen, “What do you mean by he can't hear me?”
“He's gone, Sparkles, this is not Aiden.” Ellen's voice cracked.
“I don't understand," Sparkles mumbled, eyeing Aiden, who let out another low growl.
“You remember when Sienna died?” Ellen prompted.
“Of course; what has that got to do with what is going on?” Sparkles glared at her for bringing up a sore subject.
“I know how salty you are when it comes to this topic, and I'm sorry for bringing it up. I'm afraid Aiden has just gone into the bloodlust mood like before.” Ellen said, shaking her head.
Werewolves could enter a violent, animalistic state known as bloodlust, and they would be unable to control their desire to kill. This often happens due to outrage.
Even while in the state, most werewolves hardly remember what happened because of their irrational behaviors.
More so, Ellen was certain the wolf moon, which she had noticed earlier, contributed to it as well. The wolf moon, also known as the full moon, was so-called this way because werewolves were known to howl more either to hunt or sound out warnings when the moon was at its peak.
“Oh, gods!” Sparkles muttered, interrupting her thought. “What are we going to do now?”
“Give him time to make him think rationally, and if that doesn't work, we'll have to rescue Elena. I believe that is the only way he can come back, seeing as she is the reason for his change.”
Sparkles nodded her head, agreeing with her. Ellen was right, and ever since Elena had arrived, it had been hard to get Aiden's attention seeing she was his favourite in the house.
Elena's presence changed everything, and aside from her humanity, it made Sparkles jealous of her more since she got Aiden's attention to herself.
However, she wanted everything to be normal again; she wanted Aiden back, as well as Elena.
“But how, and what if it doesn't work?" Sparkles queried. “I mean, she's with Jensen, and he has battalions of werewolves and hybrids everywhere. I don't think we can take him on by ourselves without Aiden.”
“Well, that is why we need a plan,” Ellen stated with a small smile playing on her lips.